• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood ash soap

Has anybody ever tried?

I've never tried but I believe you steep the wood ash in water to produce lye then mix it with rendered fat

Yes, I also use white wood ash to clean my electric oven and Rayburn. It also works on burned on grease in camping cookware. If you soak a cloth in a bucket of water and then dip it in clean white wood ash (no gritty bits) it can be used to convert any burned on fat and grease in your oven to soap which in turn helps remove any other burned on bits without the use of environmentally damaging chemical oven cleaners. It is just as effective as brands like Mr muscle and I have plenty of it as a byproduct of heating my home with wood.
Basically white wood ash soaked in a small amount of water creates lye or caustic soda which when added to fat breaks down the fat into soap. Coincidentally you can use a very similar process with the addition of wood ethanol to make bio diesel.

Last edited:
Back