• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

wood burning stoves

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member
there are a few of these on the market and the price range from £130-£250 ish

the stove i use when out for any length of time is a blaze £230 74f600b1be4c11014e237b10e12c91bc.jpg

Blaze[SUP][/SUP] is an efficient and lightweight wood burning stove. It is a special and unique item, not to be confused with lower quality, mass produced, cast products. It is hand made here in the UK from top grade, UK sourced materials. It is beautifully hand crafted by one single Master Blacksmith at his forge.

the only problem with the blaze stove is you need to buy a flew kit as well £190 ...

the cheeper option is a frontier stove £125 including flue campingstove_frontierstove1.jpg this stove packs down to a size of a sports bag .....

Attachments

• campingstove_frontierstove1.jpg
    campingstove_frontierstove1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 74f600b1be4c11014e237b10e12c91bc.jpg
    74f600b1be4c11014e237b10e12c91bc.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 221
as you guys probably know ive already got the blaze stove for my soulpad tent ...but as the tent is new i dont want to cut a hole in it for the flue of the stove....

so ive decided im going to get one of the polish 2 man tents and try and make my own smaller stove ...perhaps out of an ammo box ..ive been looking about on the net and the one,s ive seen still look abit big for what i would call easy carry!!!!...

so my mission is to try and build a fully functioning stove which will warm my tent but also warm my water for a brew...but it will need to be compact and fairly light ...ive got a few ideas.. will keep you guys posted on how i get on

very interesting - if you work this out I might copy you or beg you to make me one too ;) I was thinking of a 5.56 ammo box on its side so the lid becomes a door - four screw on legs and then a hole and a 3 or 4 inch flue to go out the arm hole or directly out the front door

I was wondering if my ideas for a Nomad stove might be somehow adapted to help keep a basha warm. It could be just as easy as pulling it a little closer to the bed, as long as the smoke didn't fill the shelter. The main trouble I can see is there would be too much air flow in to the stove so it would keep burning fuel too quickly. Keeping a billy can of water on top, or even just a spare plate of steel would help this and maybe another one propped up against the front to limit air flow.
I reckon a little hot box like that would take the edge off a cold winter's night.

Any ideas would be useful?

Last edited:
PS I can supply two ammo boxes if you want them ;)

very interesting - if you work this out I might copy you or beg you to make me one too ;) I was thinking of a 5.56 ammo box on its side so the lid becomes a door - four screw on legs and then a hole and a 3 or 4 inch flue to go out the arm hole or directly out the front door

i like your thinking mate ...will keep you posted I'm going to my local army serplace on Friday ....i have been thinking about a stainless steel cook pot with lid ....cut a door in the side of the pot screw on a hinge and a handle to open the door with (heat proof) ...drill 4 holes in the bottom of the pot and put some large bolts threw then and then lock them in position with a nut ....cut a 1,1/2 inch hole in the lid (near the back) and get a length of exhaust pipe from the auto factors..and get a small section welded to the lid ..then cut the remain length of exhaust up into 1ft sections and get them flared at one end so they then slot together to make the flue out of the arm .....you would also need to drill a couple of holes threw the side of the pot on an angle so the holes go threw the edge of the lid so you can put a couple bolts threw to hold the lid on the pot (as I'm sure the flue would make the lid flip of and then burn the tent down whilst you were asleep:D)......this is my idea guys will look at pots and ammo case,s on Friday will keep you all posted

if you keep the (stove/pot) fairly sealed(air tight) you can control the burn by closing/opening the door ...

Something I would love to have a go at, I have a fully kitted out work shop inc mig welder and all the bits and pieces you would need.
My last job was Welder fabricator where I had to design odd things for customers, so this would be right up my street.

if you keep the (stove/pot) fairly sealed(air tight) you can control the burn by closing/opening the door ...

You would just make a hole on the side with a swivel cover that could be open (swivelled to the side) to allow air in, you could then control this by the amount it was opened up or shut.

As you can see the black disc would spin to allow as much air flow as needed.

air hole.jpg

Attachments

• air hole.jpg
    air hole.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 137
Shame you guys arent closure you could work it together ............... as I say I have a couple (3) of ammo boxes to donate and if I get a stove out of it at the end alls well and good - Im not a great metal worker but I think half the works done with a ammo box as the doors there - it would just need legs, a flue and maybe a means of controling air flow ...........

Anybody seen the gas bottle ones on ebay?

Something I would love to have a go at, I have a fully kitted out work shop inc mig welder and all the bits and pieces you would need.
My last job was Welder fabricator where I had to design odd things for customers, so this would be right up my street.

so we having a stove making party at your place soon mate?

More than welcome mate bring a few ammo boxes up and we will sort it no worries.

cool - sounds like a plan - hope you post some pic of the finished product too

Ok guys

have been following this thread with interest. Basically I dont think the idea of using an ammo box will work (buts that my opinion) for the following reasons : the box is thin pressed steel, the heat generated by the fire is quite hot and will probably distort the metal becoming hot/cold over a period of time the metal will rust and being thin will soon develop holes. Also the box being a bit on the small side attatching a flue would prove difficult and probably be unstable. Lastly the metal being paper thin would be difficult to weld.
So having a think about it heres something that i came up with, not quite finished yet a few mods and a bit of tarting to do but it works fantastic and cost me about £9.00 ta make. 013.jpg 014.jpg 012.jpg 015.jpg

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 166
well if that cost you £9 me and matt will have one mate,, or i will give you £10 for your £1 profit

Have a look here

I did think about a gas bottle but you would need to get a small one to make it portable and small enough for a tent and I guess there will not be that much more room in a small gas bottle as there is in a decent ammo box.
I think it would take many years to rust and burn through. I have a garden incinerator that is about 2 .5 years old and has lived out the garden in all weathers and I have had that whole bin glowing many times and as yet no sign of burning through it.

Without a doubt the thicker the steel the better as it will last longer and will hold the heat longer when it does burn out.
but would it be to heavy to lug about.
What size bottle are you using ? I think it was a 6 or 7 kg one I was looking at.

I'm still wondering how micro you could make this, before I start cutting up my 2mm stainless plate to make a couple of Nomad stoves. Now I'm thinking about a very small collapsible version with an open top for fast cooking and replaceable top to keep a small fire going for some time. The door could be a sticking point as well, I don't have the workshop facilities for hinges and welding like some of you lucky souls. One thing I can get hold of is the Camping Gaz bottles, the refillable ones used on larger camping cookers. I know a scrap yard where I can pick them up for nothing but the top isn't flat on them and again, cutting into them could be a problem for me.

Really, I want a micro, back packing version but I would be interested in the Camping Gaz bottle idea if anyone wants to put any ideas/help my way?

F.A.O. BULLSEYE,,,, Rob whats the chances of turning this in to a stove? log burner?
stove.jpg

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 146
Back