• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood carving tools.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Been threatening to get hold of some wood carving knives for a while now.
Finally bit the bullet.
I have gone for a couple of Moras not too expensive and come from a good stable.

mora-163-double-edged-spoon-bowl-carving-knife-13188-p[ekm]184x140[ekm].jpg

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-106-bk-wood-carving-knife-13185-p.asp

This will pass an hour or two at A&E :eek::rofl:

The knives turned up today.......quite impressed with them as starting out tools.
Been having a look at a few clips on carving techniques.......found this clip explaining a few cuts and gives a project to practice them.

Will be on the look out for a good cutting glove now......and will more than likely make a leather work apron...plus thumb guard.

Looking forward to getting in to this carving :thumbsup:

Already have a large draw knife in the shed and a spoke shave.

Anyone else into wood carving around the fire??

love it fire on in garage get comfy a few bits of apple that i cut down last year put some picture on when i figureout how to do it

The knives turned up today.......quite impressed with them as starting out tools.
Been having a look at a few clips on carving techniques.......found this clip explaining a few cuts and gives a project to practice them.

Will be on the look out for a good cutting glove now......and will more than likely make a leather work apron...plus thumb guard.

Only 2 lkits left Bill :rofl:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUTURE-PR...824941?hash=item41af8861ad:g:7zwAAOSw7NNUDhIR

Hi Jeft.

Nice one mate.......be nice to see your work :thumbsup:
What knives and other tools are you using to do the carving?
As you can see above...I have just bought a couple of knives to start me off on the carving route:thumbsup::D

Those special carving tools are evil they don't just cut deep they take a complete chunk of flesh out and leave you sitting there waiting for the blood and pain to follow lol

Those special carving tools are evil they don't just cut deep they take a complete chunk of flesh out and leave you sitting there waiting for the blood and pain to follow lol

Exactly that Lee......I will definitely be getting a glove and making a thumb stall :sneaky: because I'm a clumsy sod :rofl:
Learning how to cut ( THE WOOD :rofl: ) properly is a must I reckon.

Still lots to look at and learn.:)

I feel that when we use a big knife, axe or saw we don't take chances, I've been cut bad a good few times using a SAK and multi tool but never with a big knife, axe or saw.

Only walking sticks and simple spirals but sometimes less is more. I will bring my sticks to the meet

last time i cut myself the point went down the side of my nail bed blood every where

Ouch :)

As with most things we all get up too....there is an element of risk or injury involved.
The clever thing to do is minimise the risks by using the correct techniques and aids available.......also thinking about what we are doing.....being aware.

Accidents can and will happen even with the most fastidious preparation and care......all we can hope to do is take any steps to minimise the risks and possible injury.

Wood carving Is relaxing and rewarding in fact anything made by yourself is rewarding so get them spoons and bowls carved and take plenty of plasters with you:rofl:

Back