• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood carving tools.

Well mate I would imagine stiff leather could be hard to cut

Not sure if this is the thread where Bill mentioned the anti-cut gloves. I thought about it and purchased a pair that arrived this morning. At first use they appear to work well so hopefully I can get some carving done with minimum cuts!
Pictures attached show the gloves and the box they came in. Strange the box mentions leather. I wonder if they are for use when doing leatherwork?

@divebuddy

Nice gloves Dick....save the digits mate:D

I think the gloves are designed to help with any sharp work we do.
Worth having mate.....been up to all sorts so not had chance to try mine yet:thumbsup:

I googled Aiaku and apparently their main business is high quality leather goods so I assume they also use the anti-cut gloves and sell them as part of their business.

@divebuddy

I suppose they could be used for leatherwork Dick........but I cant say I have ever used them in conjunction with my own leatherwork.

Have you had a go at anymore carving yet mate?

I have neglected this....been too busy with other stuff:rolleyes: must try to get something under way.
Managed to collect some small logs (Thick branch) not sure what wood it is.......ideal size for the wood spirits though.

Will you be taking your carving kit to the summer meet mate.....perhaps we could get a bit done around the fire :thumbsup:

@divebuddy

I suppose they could be used for leatherwork Dick........but I cant say I have ever used them in conjunction with my own leatherwork.

Have you had a go at anymore carving yet mate?

I have neglected this....been too busy with other stuff:rolleyes: must try to get something under way.
Managed to collect some small logs (Thick branch) not sure what wood it is.......ideal size for the wood spirits though.

Will you be taking your carving kit to the summer meet mate.....perhaps we could get a bit done around the fire :thumbsup:
I've still got that big Applewood branch Bill, enough for both you and Dick

Excellent Joe thank you:thumbsup:

Bring your stick carving kit with you to the meet....be a good opportunity to get a bit done.
Have you whittled any more recently?

Excellent Joe thank you:thumbsup:

Bring your stick carving kit with you to the meet....be a good opportunity to get a bit done.
Have you whittled any more recently?
No Bill I've been mainly working in the garden but I will be cutting some sticks soon and rough carving them while the wood is still soft

Well....at last after all the chat...I finally got around to actually trying a bit of wood carving.
This is my first attempt at a "Woodspirit".
I really enjoyed being sat there next to the fire hacking away at this bit of wood.
Something I would like to perfect eventually......very calming to do:thumbsup:

Lorraine wants me to drill a deeper hole in the mouth to burn incent sticks when we are out the back having a BBQ:)

Forgot to pack my anti cut/stab gloves...ended up with two very small cuts :D......no pain...no gain.:D

Will use them in future.:thumbsup:

DSC02842.JPG

Need to rub it over with a toothbrush to get rid of the fury wood:thumbsup:

DSC02843.JPG

DSC02844.JPG

Its a start:thumbsup:

Well....at last after all the chat...I finally got around to actually trying a bit of wood carving.
This is my first attempt at a "Woodspirit".
I really enjoyed being sat there next to the fire hacking away at this bit of wood.
Something I would like to perfect eventually......very calming to do:thumbsup:

Lorraine wants me to drill a deeper hole in the mouth to burn incent sticks when we are out the back having a BBQ:)

Forgot to pack my anti cut/stab gloves...ended up with two very small cuts :D......no pain...no gain.:D

Will use them in future.:thumbsup:

View attachment 10238

Need to rub it over with a toothbrush to get rid of the fury wood:thumbsup:

View attachment 10239

View attachment 10240

Its a start:thumbsup:
he's a nice bit of work mate but why has he got multiple horns sticking out of his head:D

Thought I would post up a bit about the carving knife I used for the "wood spirit" above ^^^
Its a nice little knife made by "Flexcut" U.S.A.
The knife comes complete with a well-made Leather pouch which has a belt loop sewn on and a popper closer.
It has six blades in all, with varying shapes.

A plus point for this knife is.....there are Left and right-hand versions.

Its a well made piece of kit, and the blades are extremely sharp, as you would expect.
In the kit I have the knife came with a shaped honing block and strop + paste.

upload_2017-5-31_9-4-38.jpeg

Some pics for anyone interested in a bit of wood carving.

DSC02845.JPG

DSC02846.JPG

DSC02847.JPG

I will hopefully get many years of enjoyment from the knife.

There are many on here that are handy at making knives, and could quite happily replicate the blade shapes.
For me, it's just nice to have it all in one neat package that fits on the belt or slips into a pocket.

The only downside I have noticed is that the blades are awkward to get out....and you need to handle the knife carefully when selecting the blade you want to use or put away.
The blades do lock in position when you are using them.

So.....there it is "The Flexcut Pocket" carving knife :thumbsup:

Thought I would post up a bit about the carving knife I used for the "wood spirit" above ^^^
Its a nice little knife made by "Flexcut" U.S.A.
The knife comes complete with a well-made Leather pouch which has a belt loop sewn on and a popper closer.
It has six blades in all, with varying shapes.

A plus point for this knife is.....there are Left and right-hand versions.

Its a well made piece of kit, and the blades are extremely sharp, as you would expect.
In the kit I have the knife came with a shaped honing block and strop + paste.

View attachment 10282

Some pics for anyone interested in a bit of wood carving.

View attachment 10283

View attachment 10284

View attachment 10285

I will hopefully get many years of enjoyment from the knife.

There are many on here that are handy at making knives, and could quite happily replicate the blade shapes.
For me, it's just nice to have it all in one neat package that fits on the belt or slips into a pocket.

The only downside I have noticed is that the blades are awkward to get out....and you need to handle the knife carefully when selecting the blade you want to use or put away.
The blades do lock in position when you are using them.

So.....there it is "The Flexcut Pocket" carving knife :thumbsup:
That's a nice looking piece of kit mate

Thanks, Joe...very happy with it.

Comfortable to use and fits in the hand nicely, not too big.
Might be of interest to other carvers or those thinking of taking it up:thumbsup:

Thanks, Joe...very happy with it.

Comfortable to use and fits in the hand nicely, not too big.
Might be of interest to other carvers or those thinking of taking it up:thumbsup:
unfortunately maate it's a bit out of my price range so I'll stick with my opinels and chisels

Got to agree the price tag is hefty Joe :(

You can achieve the same results with your opinels and chisels mate.:thumbsup:
I'm just clumsy and need all the help I can get:D:whistle:

Back