• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood carving tools.

Don't really understand their email. Shipping was supposed to be £4.50. but I could get 2 for £20 including shipping. Then sell one on eBay lol

Bringing this post forward a bit.
At the Summer meet I was determined to have another go at the wood carving and set about selecting a stick from the hedge row.
I chose a piece of hazel for the project.

Started by removing all of the bark from the stick.
Wish I had taken pictures on the way through the job now.

Anyway.....I started hacking away and formed a Ravens head at the top of the stick.......going to drill the eye sockets out a bit and insert some glass beads for the eyes.
Still need to clean all the rough and fury wood away.
Might try some staining later on.

20180818_084538.jpg

About halfway down I opted for a Wood Spirit of sorts.
Again needs cleaning up.....but getting there.

20180818_084613.jpg

At the bottom I carved a Snake wrapped around the stick.......will add glass bead eyes to that as well.

20180818_084636.jpg

20180818_084654.jpg

All work in progress.
Took a good few hours sat in the chair and was very enjoyable and relaxing.

That’s very nice work there, especially the ravens head. I’ve been playing about a bit between jobs as well so I suppose I might as well post up a few pics. The spoon is walnut (I made for my wife for our anniversary), the woodspirit was on an offcut of seasoned hazel, the chap in the flat cap was from a block of bass wood (that little sod sent me to A&E as well when I got careless) and the imp is a work in progress from a bit of horse chestnut that came down in the winds :)
194C209B-BEC4-4D11-B597-6601B48074A5.jpeg
D86B45BC-3A6E-4711-ADFA-520814E09C41.jpeg
6847D59F-3455-4828-B903-43234797B2EA.jpeg
9A48C9FB-9B91-4CFF-B99F-C4A896341F77.jpeg
9697C09E-B308-4751-B817-D825271B1E33.jpeg
033EB31E-44EB-4539-8BD7-14172FFB815D.jpeg
8B40D889-7894-4BDA-9E07-4608D9CAE38C.jpeg
9C6C0BD1-2B28-4C77-B146-B8B6DBA4F39C.jpeg

That’s very nice work there, especially the ravens head. I’ve been playing about a bit between jobs as well so I suppose I might as well post up a few pics. The spoon is walnut (I made for my wife for our anniversary), the woodspirit was on an offcut of seasoned hazel, the chap in the flat cap was from a block of bass wood (that little sod sent me to A&E as well when I got careless) and the imp is a work in progress from a bit of horse chestnut that came down in the winds :)
View attachment 14765View attachment 14766View attachment 14767View attachment 14768View attachment 14769View attachment 14770View attachment 14771View attachment 14772

Excellent work there Bionic.......like the guy in the flat cap......brilliant.
Have you got yourself a protection glove now........mine has saved me a few times :whistle:

Last edited:
View attachment 14765View attachment 14766View attachment 14767View attachment 14768View attachment 14769View attachment 14770View attachment 14771View attachment 14772
Nice work but what's with the bloody bandage

Thanks. The bloody bandage was sat waiting to be stuck back together and as far as having got a cut resistant glove I ordered a pair on my phone whilst sat waiting in A&E :rolleyes: . I haven’t actually used them a lot yet though as to start off with my thumb wouldn’t fit in and since then I can’t seem to get on with them. I suppose I ought to persevere with them really :)

Thanks. The bloody bandage was sat waiting to be stuck back together and as far as having got a cut resistant glove I ordered a pair on my phone whilst sat waiting in A&E :rolleyes: . I haven’t actually used them a lot yet though as to start off with my thumb wouldn’t fit in and since then I can’t seem to get on with them. I suppose I ought to persevere with them really :)
I would persevere mate, you will get used to them in time

At the Summer meet I was determined to have another go at the wood carving and set about selecting a stick from the hedge row.

Anyway.....I started hacking away and formed a Ravens head at the top of the stick.......going to drill the eye sockets out a bit and insert some glass beads for the eyes.

View attachment 14759

View attachment 14761

At the bottom I carved a Snake wrapped around the stick.......will add glass bead eyes to that as well.

View attachment 14762

View attachment 14763

All work in progress.
i like that very much

At last....I got around to adding some colour to Lorraine's walking stick.
Sat up in the shed with a coffee and radio on.
Spent a good while sanding and getting rid of the fir and Knibbs before painting.

DSC03330.JPG

DSC03331.JPG

DSC03332.JPG

DSC03333.JPG

DSC03334.JPG

Going to drill out the eye sockets on Raven's head and the wood spirit and snake as well.
Then going to set glass beads into the eye sockets.

Work in progress:):thumbsup:

View attachment 14759

View attachment 14761

View attachment 14762

View attachment 14763

All work in progress.

Excellent Gandalf .................

Back