• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood carving tools.

Feeling the urge to get out and into the woods under a tarp for a bit more practice wood carving....... and a brew :)
Going to sharpen the blades and tools in readiness.

Any one else been playing with their wood.....and doing a bit? :whistle:

@teef Have you done anymore regards handcrafting your own tools.......I remember you were going to organise a small furnace.

Need to organise the kit in a pack ready for the off.

Must admit my two carving knifes are in my cupboard lol.

sounds blissful bill , sitting in the woods with a fire and carving away 😁

any particular projects bill?

Wood spirits and some figures Mark......and the normal spoons and spatulas.........wont bother with Kuskas as I would not use it.

I may get around to that Adirondack shelter this year, I have a western red cedar earmarked for splitting into posts, purlins and shingles etc.
The tree had the top third broken off in the winter storms so it needs to come down, it just depends what state the remaining timber is in.

I may get around to that Adirondack shelter this year, I have a western red cedar earmarked for splitting into posts, purlins and shingles etc.
The tree had the top third broken off in the winter storms so it needs to come down, it just depends what state the remaining timber is in.
Tap it a few times with a club hammer working up from the base, if there is any internal rot it will sound hollow which will give an indication of how high you will need to cut it

Tap it a few times with a club hammer working up from the base, if there is any internal rot it will sound hollow which will give an indication of how high you will need to cut it
It has to be felled come what may, it's just a case of do I build with it or burn it.
I also have an Alaskan chainsaw mill so I could plank a bit of it for making hive parts.

...and the normal spoons and spatulas.........wont bother with Kuskas as I would not use it.

yup, same here. i've been chipping away for a few weeks now. first batch is already oiled up, next batch is wrapped in packing paper to dry.
must admit i'm still trying to do a decent kuksa. after several botched attempts i should probably just pack it in but it seems like a bushcrafter right of passage must-do so i keep at it.

It has to be felled come what may, it's just a case of do I build with it or burn it.
I also have an Alaskan chainsaw mill so I could plank a bit of it for making hive parts.
I would hazard a guess Mike and say you should get plenty of usable timber out of it

Our Den is made from Cedar......they gave us a 15 year guarantee on it......so speaks for itself.
Even so.....we keep it oiled.......saves it going Grey/Silver from exposure to the sun and weather.
Worth looking after.

Interesting. When we moved in 2012 we inherited a summer house. We subsequently found out it was in Cedar and had belonged next door for ten years and was sold to the people we bought the bungalow off five years earlier. I moved it in 2014 and it now houses my dive and camping gear. That makes it 24 years old and apart from a couple of places it is still sound and weather proof.👍

Interesting. When we moved in 2012 we inherited a summer house. We subsequently found out it was in Cedar and had belonged next door for ten years and was sold to the people we bought the bungalow off five years earlier. I moved it in 2014 and it now houses my dive and camping gear. That makes it 24 years old and apart from a couple of places it is still sound and weather proof.👍
Maybe not quite the same but our original shed is 18 years old and still going strong, its a basic 'shed' and been re-felted once (one of my finest ever DIY jobs as it happens). Its been repainted at least half a dozen times and can see it going for another 18 years. My point is, if you look after them, these 'temporary' structures can go well past their 'date'. Guess this isn't news to anyone but worth repeating.

Just spent an hour sorting out the kit and unpacking the Scotland items and putting it away. :(
Started to load the Rocket Pack with items for when I get into the woods for a bit of carving.
Sorted the tools....shelter and brew kit......will finish it off another day.

Feels good to have sorted it at last.

Set about doing a bit of roughing out on the next bit of carving.
It's starting to take shape.

Attachments

• 20210306_125006.jpg
    20210306_125006.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210306_124942.jpg
    20210306_124942.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210306_124932.jpg
    20210306_124932.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 100
Back