• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wood carving tools.

Hi Mark.

Got a figure that I started..... just using a knife.....picture here somewhere.
Found that it was hard graft and difficult...... because of the wood that was needed removing to form the basic shape.
It is quite a large figure starting off with a 2x2 piece of wood 6 inches long.

Hence the Band Saw purchase and addition........it will be easier..... and safer..... to form the basic shape.....and produce a nice square and even blank.

(OR A VERY ORNATE PIECE OF FIREWOOD) :rofl:

Also looking at making some spoons......spachulas and the likes.
Depending how things go.....will have a go at some basic furniture pieces as well.
May look at a scroll saw also........ as projects progress in variety and size.

The Band Saw is now put together and adjustments to blade running and tension....runners and guides all spot on......it runs very smoothly :thumbsup:
Most awkward bit of assembly was fitting the cutting table......a bit fiddly on your own :D.....but managed it now.

Nice bit of fire wood, produced a few bits like that myself 😂

taking the excess of makes sense buddy, less fingers damaged and straight onto the fun part (carving)

it’s very relaxing, as you know mate ....... mind noo plenty pictures Ken 👍🏻

Further to this thread......during the old shed clear out I somehow managed to bin my draw knife....upsetting to say the least.....it was a very old and well made bit of kit.
Very useful during hand carving projects.
So had to bite the bullet and order another.......went for a Flex Cut.

Might actually get some time to crack on with a few projects soon.......it's been busy here.

That’s a pain bill 👎 done the same thing with my pathfinder kettle lid 🤷🏼‍♂️ (Discontinued now )

New one looks a cracker tho👍🏻

just out of curiosity bill, it wouldn’t have been in beside the leather tools you sent ? I’m sure I would have noticed but I can have a look see again?

Hi Mark.

No mate........ but thanks for the thought.
It was a bigger knife than the new one ordered......you would have deffo noticed it :D

After buying various thumb guards for use when carving..... and not finding them to be a good fit or comfortable I have had a go at making one that fits me personally.

This little bit of carving kit is so worth having.....for obvious reasons.

I had a scrap piece of 2mm soft leather kicking around so set about cutting it to shape for fit.
Held together with sellotape at the moment......but I am going to use some flexible strapping tape to Finnish it off.
Snug fit.....but not overly tight.

Attachments

• 20210411_081458.jpg
    20210411_081458.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210411_081109.jpg
    20210411_081109.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210411_081058.jpg
    20210411_081058.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210411_082257.jpg