• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

wood gas stove, need a tin can recommendation :)

teef

Slightly Addicted
so, i bought one of those wood gas stoves a while back, the kind that supposedly make use of the gases that wood releases when it burns to get a second "burn" and use the wood more efficiently.
it seems to work quite well, burns longer than you'd expect in a regular twig stove, may actually burn a little hotter and (big bionus IMO) reduces everything to fine ash. all in all it seems like a winner.

trouble is that mine is too damn heavy, close on a kilo with all the bits and the carry sack. sure it's nice and sturdy being made of stainless and all but that's weight i'd very much like to reduce.

as i'm sure many of you know there are a shed-load of videos on Youtube about making your own "wood gas"/"gasifier" stoves and it all looks pretty straightforward.
the guts of any of these stoves is an inner and outer sleeve, usually two tin cans where the inner is the actual combustion chamber and the outer is basically a hot air feed into the top of that chamber.

we don't use a lot of tinned goods in our house but i did end up with what i think will make a good sized combustion chamber. trouble is i can't find the right larger tin for the outside sleeve. i've rummaged through our local Co-op with no success.

what i'm looking for is an unlined tin can about 9 or 10 cm in diameter and roughly 12-14 cm tall (i can always cut a larger one down).
any recommendations? at least if I know what to look for -- the product that comes in such a tin -- then that'll expedite this whole process nicely.

thanks for reading and helping if you can.
once i've got this beasty working i'll post pics to show you all how it worked out.

If you put wood gasification in the search bar on the forum there are plenty of threads on what tins to use

i must be doing the search wrong because just 5 threads came up, one of which was this thread. only two threads actually discuss the making of stoves and neither is a real wood gas stove made from tins (see below). as far as I can tell only one thread actually mentions specific tins used in making the stove; it's not a wood gas stove but a "hobo" stove so it appears as though they opted for a rather larger combustion chamber.

wood-gas-stove.jpg

Right sorry for the delay
You used to be able to use milbona dried milk cans from lidl/aldi and their own make sweetcorn. Unfortunately they don't do the milk cans anymore. But look for a nescafe coffee tin in Co op and buy a delmonte pineapple tin ( the black label) and they fit together. Or from someone who used to make them, save your Ā£10 and buy a lixada stainless woodgas stove from ebay

y lixada
Right sorry for the delay
You used to be able to use milbona dried milk cans from lidl/aldi and their own make sweetcorn. Unfortunately they don't do the milk cans anymore. But look for a nescafe coffee tin in Co op and buy a delmonte pineapple tin ( the black label) and they fit together. Or from someone who used to make them, save your Ā£10 and buy a lixada stainless woodgas stove from ebay
I agree, my lixada is a brilliant little lightweight stove that fits nicely into my trangia cookset

Back