• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

woodland furniture, good book?

teef

Slightly Addicted
i reckon this is a bit off-topic but can anyone recommend a good book on building rustic woodland furniture? designs, joinery, etc being of primary interest.
simple stools, benches, chairs being the upper end of my ambitions.
i'm thinking of the kind of stuff you'd do with bucksaw and axe, hammer and chisel, bit of drilling with an auger, maybe a chainsaw if absolutely necessary.
roughly this kind of thing:
rustic-furniture-02.jpeg
rustic-furniture-03.png

thanks Willie. i own a fair number of those already. some are good for what they are, but none i've seen yet directly address the subject at hand, namely rustic/woodland furniture building, in detail. the Ben Law books come tantalizingly close but only really have a few pages specific to the subject.

what i was hoping for was some hands-on recommendations to save me having to blindly buy in the hopes that something pays off.

Personally I would look for carpentry books on Wooden joints and fixings......true rustic in my opinion is off the cuff joinery. Just a thought buddy 👍🏻

Two books by a chap called Mike Abbott, the first called "Green Woodwork" published by the guild of master craftsman publications and the second called "Living Wood"which is earlier and self published. Mike Abbott is what is described as a Bodger but his stuff is far from being bodged...its beautiful.

Personally I would look for carpentry books on Wooden joints and fixings......true rustic in my opinion is off the cuff joinery. Just a thought buddy 👍🏻

yeah, fair call. thing is i remember seeing a PDF a couple years ago of some old time book -- like 1870s or suchlike -- on exactly this. great diagrams, serious discussion of the joinery, jigs to cut round tenons, etc. of course i blew by it thinking "ha, not likely!" and here i am today wishing otherwise. :(

@Ystranc , thanks for the references! will check those out asap.

yeah, fair call. thing is i remember seeing a PDF a couple years ago of some old time book -- like 1870s or suchlike -- on exactly this. great diagrams, serious discussion of the joinery, jigs to cut round tenons, etc. of course i blew by it thinking "ha, not likely!" and here i am today wishing otherwise. :(

It’s funny how something’s pan out, I wish I would have took all my dads woodworking tools when he offered.

good luck with the search teef, keep us updated on your findings 😁 might Buy them myself 😂

yup, got the Ben law books, as mentioned above. great books, lots of info on general woodland woodworking, but not a lot on furniture building though.

Back