• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Woodland walk and lunch by the fire

Kitstaa

Slightly Talkative
Enjoyed a frosty late-morning walk today, cooked beans and made tea by the fire I started with "Burner Firestarters" looking to make a bow drill soon as I would like to learn more "primitive" techniques of doing things, what opinion do you all have on bow drills? Or what is your favourite way of starting a fire? Snapchat-1121800912.jpg

Well lol. A have tried the bow drill about 6 times and failed every time:rofl: so my advice is take a piece of soft wood home and let it dry out before you make your spindle and harth board with it. :thumbsup:

Nice picture :thumbsup:

Well lol. A have tried the bow drill about 6 times and failed every time:rofl: so my advice is take a piece of soft wood home and let it dry out before you make your spindle and harth board with it. :thumbsup:

Nice picture :thumbsup:
Thanks Mark! And cheers for the advice, have the feeling I'm gonna go through the same thing, think the harth board definitely has to be as dry as possible for the heat to build up, but I'm sure I'll find a technique! Will keep you updated :)

I still struggle with the ferro rod so one thing at a time for me LOL
Haha I saw you use birch bark on your YouTube channel? I've seen another person use cotton wool buds dipped in vaseline using a ferro rod as a firestarter and then put birch bark on top once it is burning, perhaps if you dry it on a window sill or by the fire you may be able to flake it up in the morning/ when it is dry? I have zero experience I'm just guessing that that could work, let me know how you get on with the ferro rod soon!

The cotton wool pads soaked in wax and vaseline is my default method and I can start that with the ferro rod without any problem but have been challenging myself over the winter to only use what I can source in the woods. Don't worry, I'll document all of my attempts (even the failures lol)

The cotton wool pads soaked in wax and vaseline is my default method and I can start that with the ferro rod without any problem but have been challenging myself over the winter to only use what I can source in the woods. Don't worry, I'll document all of my attempts (even the failures lol)
Ah yes I understand now! When I get a bit better I'm going to do that too, and will document the failures too hahaha

Hi, Kitstaa.

Glad you had a good trip mate...and lunch sounded nice.
What ever fire lighting technique you adopt......try and include keeping fire contained and off the ground:thumbsup:
Nothing worse than seeing fire scars dotted around the countryside.;)

You can make a small Hobo stove from an old can or go a step further and buy something more elaborate when you are ready to.

th?id=OIP.spbrYLwzMyuWtjkDqr97lQHaEK&pid=15.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasySleep-Pro-BBQ008710-Foldable-Barbeque/dp/B006OU30I4

Fires on the floor can be dangerous and cause horrific forest fires.
Some forest floors are like peat and even after your best efforts to extinguish your fire......it may still burn underneath and eventually break out days or months later.

Leave no trace........ and practice safely :thumbsup:

Hi, Kitstaa.

Glad you had a good trip mate...and lunch sounded nice.
What ever fire lighting technique you adopt......try and include keeping fire contained and off the ground:thumbsup:
Nothing worse than seeing fire scars dotted around the countryside.;)

You can make a small Hobo stove from an old can or go a step further and buy something more elaborate when you are ready to.

th?id=OIP.spbrYLwzMyuWtjkDqr97lQHaEK&pid=15.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasySleep-Pro-BBQ008710-Foldable-Barbeque/dp/B006OU30I4

Fires on the floor can be dangerous and cause horrific forest fires.
Some forest floors are like peat and even after your best efforts to extinguish your fire......it may still burn underneath and eventually break out days or months later.

Leave no trace........ and practice safely :thumbsup:
I've ensured I kept the fire on logs trying my best to protect the ground underneath and letting the fire die down then pouring water over the fire and in holes around where the fire was to reduce the risk of a forest fire.. Hobo stoves look good i will definitely give them a go! Once again, I will keep you updated!

Back