• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Woodstove thoughts?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Right, so I'm trying to decide on a woodstove for the tent but with the consideration that it may also be used in a large family bell tent.

The two frontrunners for me are the:
Outbacker Firebox at around £180
and the
Winnerwell View Medium at around £400

Convince me on the Winnerwell if you can, but I'm not convinced the windows are worth paying double for it.

Any other options?

Cheers

Neil @WildWood1965 bought a Winnerwell recently, we fitted it at the autumn meet, he would be able to give you a critique. The stove jack that he'd bought certainly impressed me and was better than the one I have. I think he got it from:
The only general comment that I can make is to ensure that the stove has a 3" or greater flue diameter. Any less and it doesn't draw well.

The original outbacker had a flue with less than a two and a half inch diameter pipe (60mm), I’m told that caused some problems. Now they’ve been superseded they’re selling old stock for around £95

Last edited:
Right, so I'm trying to decide on a woodstove for the tent but with the consideration that it may also be used in a large family bell tent.

The two frontrunners for me are the:
Outbacker Firebox at around £180
and the
Winnerwell View Medium at around £400

Convince me on the Winnerwell if you can, but I'm not convinced the windows are worth paying double for it.

Any other options?

Cheers
Just bought the Outbacker myself for use in my front room ... very impressed with it ... plus if you buy one I've got a few sections of flue I havent used that you could have if needed :)

@Matt did you get one with a larger flue? It seems the ad I posted at the top has the smaller 60mm diameter pipe.

Seems the Winnerwell also has a 60mm flue

this is the one i bought :cool: cheaper than the one you posted it works well chucks out plenty of heat and draws well:)

Thanks guys. I need to wait for payday to push the button but in the meantime it occurs to me that most of these stoves have 60mm flues. Are the sections of yours Neil, the same as those of Matt's?

Thanks guys. I need to wait for payday to push the button but in the meantime it occurs to me that most of these stoves have 60mm flues. Are the sections of yours Neil, the same as those of Matt's?
My earlier comment about the diameter of the flue was based on experience with the Frontier Stove. That had a 2" flue and was a pig! Modification to a 4" flue turned it into a very useful and workable stove. The Blaze stove that I have also has 4" flue and that works fine. Hence my scepticism of narrow flues.
Both Matt and Neil have stoves with 60mm flues and they both seems to work fine so it may all be down to good or bad design and testing. If Matt and Neil say their stoves work fine I'm happy to believe it.

There are a few factors that make a difference to how well a flue draws, the ratio of air vent to flue area, the height of the flue (taller flues draw better so use all the flue sections), the temperature of the flue, air tightness of the joints. It’s a lot more difficult to get right then most people believe. Dampers and vents can improve controllability but the only way I know to prevent a cold smoky flue is to pre heat it enough to overcome any downdraft. My experience is more with household wood burners than tent wood burners but the physics is the same.

Back