• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wool from other animals ?

Erbswurst

Very Addicted
The first bushcrafter we know about was John the Baptist.
After he had burned the last twigs of his forest and had converted it to a desert, he thought about what to do now, because it was so boring alone in the desert without a fire, and then, while he was dipping some grass hoppers in his honey, decided to invent a new religion, which became, as we know, very successful.

This famous guy used a CAMEL HAIR COAT.

Do you have experiences with wool from camels or other animals instead of sheep?

Last year I found in Bonn a little shop which sold socks made from the wool of Lamas, Alpacas and other camels, which looked very good.
But because it was very hot and I didn't want to carry it around, I didn't buy it, but regret it now.
I ask myself if I should return there to buy a couple of this socks to try them out.

Did anybody of you ever used camel wool socks or other clothing from such different animals and can share here his impressions about it?

What's about cashmere?
Is it to fine for outdoor use?

I think, it is even softer than merino.
I had a nice white shawl and loved it.

Unfortunately I didn't get the red wine out of it. Now I know, why champagne belongs to it.

My dear old Granny worked in the St. Andrews Woollen Mill and got massive discounts As a young gent about town I was often seen in pastel shades of cashmere (it was the 80's and pastel shades were in..... and don't bloody judge me :lol:) and while its really comfy and warm its not hard wearing and does get holes. I got my missus a mahoosive alpaca scarf a while back and it feels the same, she puts it on her knees at the football and it works a treat but its soft and I strongly suspect it would fair the same as the cashmere I wore up the hills (old cashmere jerseys).

While I do have a couple sets of LJ's I've not bothered with merino and when I have worn the bottoms I've regretted it, its probably just me though, I do tend to run 'hot'

My shawl was strong in my opinion, I had it really long time, but it is possible, that it was mixed somehow with other wool.
I bought it in the nineties and it was every thing else than cheap.
(Contrast programm for reeducation in the university, too many long haired guys where running there around.)

Usually I see very thin cashmere jumpers and I ask my self, if thicker woven jumpers would survive outdoor use. Perhaps they would become indoor to hot, but would be outdoors strong and warm?

I had the pleasure of an auntie and gran who knitted so....endlessly I was given jumpers and cardigans..beautiful and gratefully excepted....they just made my skin hot and itchy :mad: my auntie still knits for all the kids.. Wish I could wear wool it’s a bloody bugger as it’s one of the best materials for our activity’s......haven’t had wool on for years. Wonder if I’ve changed lol...

I had the pleasure of an auntie and gran who knitted so....endlessly I was given jumpers and cardigans..beautiful and gratefully excepted....they just made my skin hot and itchy :mad: my auntie still knits for all the kids.. Wish I could wear wool it’s a bloody bugger as it’s one of the best materials for our activity’s......haven’t had wool on for years. Wonder if I’ve changed lol...

I have no problem with wool but still prefer fleece, its easier to dry, if you wring out wool it tends to lose its shape.

I bought a Regatta Fleece as top layer a couple of years back for £12.00......it is without doubt one of the warmest layers I use..... Exceeding the performance of a pure wool Norwegan jumper.
So many more options out there if you can't get on with wool base layers.
Modern synthetics have come a long way.

Hi Baytree.

Never knew or heard about this before now mate.....very interesting.....thanks for sharing 👍
I like her idea of making items from a much-loved pet that stays with you after its demise.

That's an Idea!
Our Australian Shepherd is very smooth.

Perhaps the long haired Afghani are the best? I know a guy who has two of them and he is crazy enough to do it.
I will talk about with him, if I see him next time.

In Theodor Stroms novel "Der Schimmelreiter" an old women had a pillow made from her cat. The story comes from the lower saxon coast line and seems to be very old.
Perhaps people did things like that in earlier centuries?

My brother has three cats. I think, two should be enough. I'll try it!

I was at a trade show in Munich a few months ago that focused on outdoor gear. I spoke with a wool manufacture and asked her about what wool is best for the cold. She said Camel wool was actually really warm but extremely expensive and brands usually use it as a scarf and blend it with other fabrics. She said Cashmere and Alpaca are quite warm as well but that Cashmere was not as durable. And typically merino and alpaca is a good quality wool that is durable. I haven't been luckily to use camel wool, but i have used cashmere and alpaca in the andes. Both kept me warm and comfy

Did you use cashmere base layer with camel mid layer? Perhaps that's the best and most comfortable option?

In a few shops in Germany they sell traditional caps from Peru. I never watched them, because I am afraid to look like somebody who wants to go to a carnival party.
But I remember, that my old boy scout leader, who was very experienced in international expeditions around the world used one, if he didn't use his kosak cap.

Unfortunately he died a couple of years ago, so I can't ask him any more.

Next time I will come along at such a shop I will have a look. Perhaps they sell modern designs too. From outside usually only traditional stuff is visible.

Yes, in the sixties and seventies camel hair coats where sold in Germany and used in the upper class. I guess, we exchanged our money or products more effectively in this time and looked more for elegant clothing than today. But my father never had one, because as an engineer he was sometimes running around at building sides. He usually wear cheaper clothing and invested all his money in bicycles and trekking and camping stuff, and traveling of course.

Should you visit Munich next time, look for traditional Bavarian deer leather shorts. They are expensive but last a life time! Next, they last for several generations!
That is very good trekking equipment in the mountains, if loops for a large leather belt are attached to it.
Just ask for a Wehrmacht Koppel.

The knee long trousers are meant for winter use.

Should you now something about guinea pigs, have a look to our squirrel thread!

That's an Idea!
Our Australian Shepherd is very smooth.

Perhaps the long haired Afghani are the best? I know a guy who has two of them and he is crazy enough to do it.
I will talk about with him, if I see him next time
I would think that the length of the hair is quite important for the spinning process . Too short and I very much doubt it would be possible. I have a friend who spins with a wheel and someone once mentioned all the little tuffs of wool that can be seen on barbed fences but as she pointed out it's not worth trying as they are far too short to create decent thread. Afffter that the knitting should be the easy bit.
The stiffness of the hair is probably a factor too ( I assume here rather than know) . I have bundles of horse and goat hair which seems quite stiff and diffficult to twist together although the stuff I have is mean for use in lime plaster rather than knitting.

You can use it to insulate your house too.
I have a friend who insulated his cottage with sheep wool long times ago and that works fine.

Stiff means itchy.
less stiff means less itchy.

Merino hairs are thinner than hair from normal European sheep.

Used wool insulation on Stowe house in Buckinghamshire years several years ago. Very nice to work with if a tad awkward to cut. Needs to be treated with boron salts I believe as the stuff we used suffferred from a moth infestation and ended up being replaced by fibreglass.

Did you use cashmere base layer with camel mid layer? Perhaps that's the best and most comfortable option?

In a few shops in Germany they sell traditional caps from Peru. I never watched them, because I am afraid to look like somebody who wants to go to a carnival party.
But I remember, that my old boy scout leader, who was very experienced in international expeditions around the world used one, if he didn't use his kosak cap.

Unfortunately he died a couple of years ago, so I can't ask him any more.

Next time I will come along at such a shop I will have a look. Perhaps they sell modern designs too. From outside usually only traditional stuff is visible.

Yes, in the sixties and seventies camel hair coats where sold in Germany and used in the upper class. I guess, we exchanged our money or products more effectively in this time and looked more for elegant clothing than today. But my father never had one, because as an engineer he was sometimes running around at building sides. He usually wear cheaper clothing and invested all his money in bicycles and trekking and camping stuff, and traveling of course.

Should you visit Munich next time, look for traditional Bavarian deer leather shorts. They are expensive but last a life time! Next, they last for several generations!
That is very good trekking equipment in the mountains, if loops for a large leather belt are attached to it.
Just ask for a Wehrmacht Koppel.

The knee long trousers are meant for winter use.

Should you now something about guinea pigs, have a look to our squirrel thread!
I think you're talking about "chullos" they're basically a beanie but with flaps to cover your ears. We have them everywhere in Peru.

I went to Munich during oktoberfest and I remember seeing men wearing these leather shorts, are those the ones you are speaking of?

I have a Jaeger Camel/wool mix sleeping bag from the early 1900's. I wear cashmere sweaters as base layer in extreme cold and I have a few pairs of alpaca socks that are a real pleasure to wear. As already said in other threads I usually wear merino wool base layer shirts instead of cotton t shirts.
Maybe you can tell I'm a fan of natural fibres.

Yes, I meant this cap and these shorts.

Didn't know, that you are a woman.
But doesn't matter. Technically it's interesting.

@Ystranc, where is the difference between merino an cashmere base layers?

What's about the alpacca socks?

And what's about the camel hair sleeping bag???

Wearing pure cashmere as a base layer is very warm, it is far softer than merino and as was said earlier in the thread it wears out over things like belt buckles etc and goes into holes...from my point of view this is great because wearing them as a base layer no one will see that I'm wearing a worn out old crew neck pullover under my clothes 😂
The camel/wool mix sleeping bag is an old one.. it's part of my amazing collection of old crap. I uploaded pictures of it to the forum some time back, I'll look them up.
The alpaca socks were made by a company called John Arbon, they're made for hunting. They're very warm and don't get smelly...they keep your feet healthy and dry (as long as your boots don't leak 😀)

Last edited:
Back