• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wool from other animals ?

Do you have every where some holes in?

I guess, that's good for ventilation, isn't it?

Here are a couple of photos of the sleeping bag, they won't win any prizes for the 2019 photo competition though
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
it's not quite old enough to have belonged to John the Baptist but it's the oldest sleeping bag I've ever seen.

An interesting piece!
I guess it's comfortable but itchy?

Are the two layers under the man, replacing the function of a sleeping mat?

It's soft, not itchy at all. I suppose whoever is sleeping in it can choose to sleep above or below the middle layer.

OH's aunt (long since deceased) used to spin and knit the fur from her dogs (chows). The sheep round here are last on the list for shearing so some of them shed their fleece before the shearers get here. l try and collect it and spin it into "string" as my spinning isn't very good. It's useful in the garden instead of twine and goes on the compost heap when no lomger needed.

That's a good idea!
Congratulations! I never heared about that.

I am pretty sure, that you can get the wool for free from the farmers around. Just ask them!

We throw the wool on the compost heap.
To work with it would be a nice hobby we currently have no time for.

In Europe people own sheep, that they keep the grass short, to slaughter them to get the meat and to make cheese. The wool usually doesn't interest European professionals any more, especially if they own just a few.

I have a Golden Retriever and over the course of a year he sheds bagloads (literally) of fur. The undercoat in particular is very soft and could certainly be spun into a fine wool. Always feels like a waste chucking it in the bin. Might get me ma to knit me hat out of it one day.

I have a Golden Retriever and over the course of a year he sheds bagloads (literally) of fur. The undercoat in particular is very soft and could certainly be spun into a fine wool. Always feels like a waste chucking it in the bin. Might get me ma to knit me hat out of it one day.

I've two flat coats and have to hoover every day so I feel your pain. No plans to harvest it all for wool though, the missus's hoarding weakness is wool, she's galloons of it. :lol:

Wit about the wee haggis .... anyone fir a haggis jumper? Bloomin hard to catch but there’s enough fur on yin tae dae hoff a jumper :whistle::whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Wit about the wee haggis .... anyone fir a haggis jumper? Bloomin hard to catch but there’s enough fur on yin tae dae hoff a jumper :whistle::whistle:
l thought they were easy to catch, what with the legs on one side shorter than the other side. Just chase tham the wrong way round a hill.

l thought they were easy to catch, what with the legs on one side shorter than the other side. Just chase tham the wrong way round a hill.

Correct ;) But yir forgetting aboot the teeth on the wee burgers...... nasty nasty little beastie’s :D

Back