• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

yep sticking with domed

....I won't shoot corvids, there is no justifiable reason in my book...

You think? I think you’d be hard pressed to come up with a good reason for that if pigeon and squirrel are on the ok list 🤔 I suppose a lot depends on your location and environment though thinking about it 🙂
Just reread that before I posted and it probably sounds overly critical which wasn’t the intention at all, I’m genuinely interested as for us, rooks in particular, are a major arable pest as they uproot seedlings as they grub out leatherjackets etc 🙂

Reactions: lol
Not at all, it's just I don't eat crows, and with the exception of greys, I will only shoot what I can eat? (I have eaten greys and they are good...….)
Can write more but that'll have to be later!! lol!!

I completely get that. I’ll eat most things but there’s something a little off putting about crows :D

I completely get that. I’ll eat most things but there’s something a little off putting about crows :D
Well meat is meat once the feathers are off, rook pie was considered a delicacy several years ago

Indeedy, but I don't so won't shoot them.

As an ex farmer, nor will I now shoot foxes as vermin. If they are in my pigs/chickens, killing, then yes: but more importantly, if they are in there, I need to improve my management.
Years ago I shot one, and went to prepare it, thinking I had better eat it......and ........no. So I won't shoot them, they're just doing what they should.
Greys shouldn't be here at all...............all the arguments re tree damage and disease spreading to the native reds is well documented.
Pigeon is DELICIOUS, as is Muntjac (also an alien vermin, but oh so tasty!)
(Goin' off topic, sorry......yes round dome pellets. Most excellent!!)

(PS Rooks etc also do cultivated soil a load of good....very keen on leatherjackets et al....watch them follow a plough....)

Accuracy is paramount but the pellet must also be capable of transferring enough energy to the target to be able to kill. Too close and the pellet can pass through with minimal energy transfere, too far away and there isn't enough energy left to kill cleanly.
Squirrels are actually quite difficult to take cleanly unless you can get a head shot. They're small and fast moving so the key is to understand their behaviour and be patient. Waiting for them to pause to feed is usually the best way to get a clean shot. I usually attempt to only shoot the squirrels that "bark" from the trees as these are the males and will not be nursing whatever the time of year.
Rabbits are much easier to kill but they're more likely to be nocturnal so a gun lamp or companion with a bright torch are the key to successful hunting. At night with a lamp it is also easier to get close enough to take a rabbit cleanly with an <12 f/lb air rifle.
It isn't just about making the kill, it's about safety, it's important to ensure that you have a safe backstop and know where any ricochet or rebound hazards such as standing water or rocks are.
There is an app called Deban exact that can calculate projectile paths using muzzle velocity/weight/profile. This app will show pellet speed/energy at any point along its track.

In case anyone gets confused by my mumblings, fox and muntjac were NOT shot with an air rifle, domed pellets not withstanding!!!

In case anyone gets confused by my mumblings, fox and muntjac were NOT shot with an air rifle, domed pellets not withstanding!!!
According to my local police firearms liaison officer .223 is reccomended for fox and for deer a .243 with expanding ammunition is reccomended (even though it's overkill for muntjac or Chinese water deer. Scotland has additional legislation.

Back