• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Yet another tent

It will Dodat

Very Talkative
So yesterday, being a national holy-day, <human right's day> I excercised my human rights and buzzed of and got yet another 1970,s vintage tent....
Yip THAT tent I was blabbering on about a couple of day's ago..

But for heaven's sake, don't tell my son............. He'll have a hissy-huffy that will make the arriva of the anti-christ look like a birthday-party................... Says I'm spending his inheratance..................

But, back to the tent
Made By Sea-king and the model is a Injasuti. Don't have a clue what Injasuti means, but when I find out... You chaps will be the next to know..... Promise!

Marketed as a "2 person, mountaineering tent" I'm a bit sceptical...... One would have to be extriemely friendly to sleep 2 in this tent..... Kinda "spooning" friendly.... If you get my drift......

CONSTRUCTION
The tent is in very good condition, expecially given it's age.

Made from rip-stop nylon, fly-sheet, a breathable inner and lightweight PVC groundsheet I would describe it as a hybrid tent - bivy, 2/3 tent 1/3 bivy... And really, a single person tent.
Possibly, the bright red color does not lend itself to stealth - camping...... But in a pinch that could be overcome with a lightweight cammo or similar over sheet....

The tent slopes from the front to the back, does not have a ridge pole and uses vertical pole extensions to create a gap between the fly and the inner.

The apex of the inner is kept taught by a wide elastic band between the rear pole and the inner.

But.... This tent is very interesting, because it has a double pole construction at the front, that eliminates difficulties getting in and out around a centre verticle pole.... You may recall I'm going through the process of modifying my 2 top of the range Kestrel ridge tents to this concept, and thids is the very first hiking - backpacking tent I've ever seen with this type of pole structure!

It works extriemely well and now I'm doublly motivated to get this done.

So, having 2 poles and an upsidown V adaptor, Makes sense why the tent does not have a ridge pole and slopes down at the back.... Its a weight thing. The double pole at the front is 3 sections + an adaptor extra which equals 3 sections for the ridge pole and 1 pole shorter at the back.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS TENT

The un-obstructed entrance

All zips stop at the top: - with tents with zips that stop at the bottom, care has to be taken to make sure they are properly at the end, or an access hole is left..... Can be particularly nasty If Mrs creepy-crawly with stingy tails decides to make inside a den for her hundred & plenty babies... <Female scorpions just happen carry their young around on their backs>....

The way the rubber rings for the pegs are attached to the tent makes them sacrifical: - This is an excellent idea, usually the rubber ring is loopped through the attachment strip and sewn in. When the rubber tension ring breaks is a hell of a problem to fix. Here the material attachment strip is knotted throgh the rubber ring making it a cinch to relace... (Already replaced the one missing rubber). Nice one.........

The incidentals like pegs and so on are decient quality stuff

I also like the off centre entrance through the fly sheet. This makes for a sheltered entrance and a useful bell for gear storage.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THIS TENT

And here comes the crunch..... Its not a "bathtub" groundsheet. This means the breathable inner is sewn to the groundsheet along the edge of the groundsheet which lies flat on the ground. When the ground is wet, the inner will soak up the moisture and if it comes into contact with bedding it will make the bedding damp. For this reason, I rate this tent a 3 seasons tent.

I'm also not madly chuffed with the idea of keeping the apex of the inner taught with an elastic strip... At some point it will become stretched out.....

It's there:- There is a zip-up access flap - portal at the back of the tent, which is for putting smelly hiking shoes and socks.... Well, Thinking about mrs, scorpion and her brood.....I cetainly won't be using that, for that...... Probibly use it for my pee-bottle...

I never, never, never get out of the tent at night...... That's just stupid....

SO WHY DID I BUY THIS TENT <250 ZAR>

Well I thought it would make a good example of a 1970 retro hiking tent for my 1970's retro hiking theme pitch... The backpack is also part of the theme.....

Photo's, in some sort of a sequence.....

What you fellas say?

Attachments

• 1970's retro backpack a.JPG
    1970's retro backpack a.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 1970's retro backpack b.JPG
    1970's retro backpack b.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Injasuti aa tent and model tag.JPG
    Injasuti aa tent and model tag.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Injasuti ab inner.JPG
    Injasuti ab inner.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Injasuti b 2 pole front assy.JPG
    Injasuti b 2 pole front assy.JPG
    512.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Injasuti c inner tent pitched side view.JPG
    Injasuti c inner tent pitched side view.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Injasuti d Elastic ridge tensioner.JPG
    Injasuti d Elastic ridge tensioner.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Injasuti DSCN0447.JPG
    Injasuti DSCN0447.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Injasuti e front.JPG
    Injasuti e front.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 318
  • Injasuti f inside looking to front pole assy.JPG
    Injasuti f inside looking to front pole assy.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Injasuti g sacrifical rubber ring tensioners.JPG
    Injasuti g sacrifical rubber ring tensioners.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Injasuti h shielded door.JPG
    Injasuti h shielded door.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Injasuti ia fully pitched side.JPG
    Injasuti ia fully pitched side.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Injasuti ib fully pitched front.JPG
    Injasuti ib fully pitched front.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Injasuti ie fully pitched front off side entrance.JPG
    Injasuti ie fully pitched front off side entrance.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Injasuti if fully pitched rear.JPG
    Injasuti if fully pitched rear.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Injasuti ig fully pitched off rear side.JPG
    Injasuti ig fully pitched off rear side.JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Injasuti k smelly shoe acess portal.JPG
    Injasuti k smelly shoe acess portal.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Injasuti ka 100mm gap between fly and inner.JPG
    Injasuti ka 100mm gap between fly and inner.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Injasuti kb guy rope only one slider on the rope, looped round pole top.JPG
    Injasuti kb guy rope only one slider on the rope, looped round pole top.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Injasuti l small tear in insect screen.JPG
    Injasuti l small tear in insect screen.JPG
    603.8 KB · Views: 249
Found out what Injasuti means: -

It's Sotho <an African cultural language> and it means.... It's tiny but you will fit:rofl:

Like bloomin yiddish, Every single word means a sentence

Seen a lot of your collection now in different posts..........keep feeding your passion Dodat and sod the inheritance 🤣 👍
Agree with you its a 3 season tent but only just.

Nice addition to your collection:)

And now a Standard/ext fly, is on it's way to keep it company...……...:oopsy:

Back