• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Yew and stainless whittler

ScottE

Extremely Talkative
Been wanting a very small, very sharp detail knife for a while and thought I'd make my own.
A stainless blade from an old victrinox pen knife and a piece of seasoned standing yew.
Likely not the prettiest but it fits my hand like I made it!! and the little blade I ground into a mini drop point has taken a wicked edge....hopefully it holds it.
I'll hopefully carve something interesting with it soon...
IMG_5850.JPG
IMG_5851.JPG
IMG_5852.JPG
IMG_5853.JPG
IMG_5854.JPG
IMG_5866.JPG
IMG_5867.JPG
IMG_5868.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG
IMG_5873.JPG
IMG_5874.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG
IMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5888.JPG
IMG_5889.JPG
IMG_5890.JPG

Been wanting a very small, very sharp detail knife for a while and thought I'd make my own.
A stainless blade from an old victrinox pen knife and a piece of seasoned standing yew.
Likely not the prettiest but it fits my hand like I made it!! and the little blade I ground into a mini drop point has taken a wicked edge....hopefully it holds it.
I'll hopefully carve something interesting with it soon...
View attachment 12613View attachment 12614View attachment 12615View attachment 12616View attachment 12617View attachment 12618View attachment 12619View attachment 12620View attachment 12621View attachment 12622View attachment 12623View attachment 12624View attachment 12625View attachment 12626View attachment 12627View attachment 12628
V good mate if it does the job happy days

Very similar in design to the flexicut you blade being an old victrinox pen knife probably better steel and will hold an edge better, any preference to grind ?

Hi Scott.

Very nice mate.............Yew:rolleyes: have made a nice job of that.....and good choice of wood :thumbsup:
Nothing like giving an old piece of kit a new lease of life.
Hope you have many happy hours of carving with it:)

Very similar in design to the flexicut you blade being an old victrinox pen knife probably better steel and will hold an edge better, any preference to grind ?
I tried to just zero grind it but was losing too much steel, it's as close as I could get it to zero but with a tiny bevel.....basically a convex.

I tried to just zero grind it but was losing too much steel, it's as close as I could get it to zero but with a tiny bevel.....basically a convex.
There seems to be a lot of talk on which grind to use, some say scandi, others say secondary bevel and so on, at the end of the day see what works for you? also a factor to take in to consideration it what type of wood you are carving ?

There seems to be a lot of talk on which grind to use, some say scandi, others say secondary bevel and so on, at the end of the day see what works for you? also a factor to take in to consideration it what type of wood you are carving ?
I'll be carving mostly very green birch etc, hopefully it'll cope with the odd bit of seasoned pine for a wood spirit!
Still learning all this grinds for different uses....most of my kit has scandi but with regular stropping most have taken a tiny tiny bevel.

Back