• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Yo-Yo Mechanical Automatic Fishing Reel

Review Yo-Yo Mechanical Automatic Fishing Reel

elliott92

Very Addicted
elliott92 submitted a new resource:

Yo-Yo Mechanical Automatic Fishing Reel - The Fishing Survival Tool

The Yo-Yo mechanical automatic fishing reel is designed as a survival tool to allow you to fish whilst leaving the device unattended. This is beneficial so you can carry on with other duties that need doing whilst still having lines in the water to ensure you eat that night.

It has a trigger mechanism which is set off when the fish takes the hook and the spring recoils and reels the fish in. By reeling the fish in and keeping the line taught it stops the fish from "hook pulling" itself free...

Read more about this resource...

Hi Elliott.

Great read and pictures buddy, enjoyed that, and nicely put together review.
Cant argue the reel does the job, and its a competitive price too!

Looks like you enjoyed your time at the lakes:)

Bill.

cheers guys.

you just turn the wheel to put tension on the spring. this will leave slack on the line, then you unwind the line anti clockwise around the wheel to lessen the tension or wind it clockwise to increase tension. its hard to put into words how to do this really but is very simple and the instructions that come with it show how its done

In my opinion a very useful bit of kit that should be in everyone's bag, as elliott said it weighs nothing costs little and does what it say's on the tin, puts food on the table.

I bought two and agree they are awesome pieces of kit, only one setback in my opinion is that they are too shiny, could do with a duller finish, but thats just me being piccky lol

Think high polished stainless steel, so ya can find it ain't as though we are going tactical.
wasn't worried about going tactical lol, was more worried about the fishing bailiff :) If I can see it he can too

I have zero knowledge about fishing and learned of these a number of years back. I though they were for me. But I looked into them and found out they are illegal in the uk. They are considered trapping rather than fishing.

I remember studying the wording and it being most related to the capabilities of being left unattended and returned to later. At the time I wondered if their supervised use would be ok, but then thought that sitting beside a rabbit snare and waiting probably wouldn't be.

So I never really looked any further, does anyone know anything more?

"is it acceptable to leave this set up unattended." This is what I wan to know. Or rather, as I have found out already it isn't. so, is it acceptable to use this set up attended?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here is qualified to respond to that mate. You'd be better off asking Natural England or the Environment Agency.

Thanks Ian, sorry it taken so long for me to get back. No excuse really.

I don't actually see why it shouldn't be allowed, if supervised. There's no rules on how talented a rod fisherman needs to be, and they are allowed to use multiple rods, and rod alarms. If I sit beside 1 or more of these I'm really just a fisherman with a more advanced rod alarm.

I'm in Scotland so rules may vary. It was a long time ago when I looked into the rules regarding these in the UK, I don't remember where I found it, it was online somewhere and it would have been something quite official. I do go by general chat on this type of thing.

I'd imagine that the supervised use of these is something that is unprecedented in the courts. If so, it would all depend on a future lawyers abilities to determine the legality of such use.

I think if you were leaving it unattended then that could be a bit of a grey area. I can't remember the Scottish alternatives for the Environment Agency or Natural England but as site manager I have to suggest you check it all out before using one of these. Ultimately, it's up to you.

'We' got hold of half a dozen about 7 or 8 years ago. IIRC, certainly at the time you could not leave unattended and it had to be attached to a rod. I think folks with disabilities can use them...not sure as I'm not a fisherman.

"It’s illegal to leave a rod and line in the water unattended or over which you don’t have sufficient control."

FYI

If there was no one left around to pass comment I'd also consider building a fish wheel. There are a couple of places on the Wye that are suitable without building the floating pontoons. Gill nets are super effective as long as there isn't much floating crap in a river to tear them up. Yoyo reels are widely used to target certain species in the US and they are supposed to be effective.
Joe's method of the bent sapling to strike the hook and play the fish is probably the most pleasing aesthetically as well as having the lowest carbon footprint but also the most difficult to get right.
I'd be very interested in the trigger mechanism that you would use Joe, I'm assuming it's suitably bushcrafty, whittled out of bits

Back