• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Yo-Yo Mechanical Automatic Fishing Reel

Review Yo-Yo Mechanical Automatic Fishing Reel

Would't give you tuppence for one Elliot, a nice bendy sapling with a trigger mechanism costs nothing and has caught me many a trout
Hey Joe, you'll have to show us how to set that up. I still have my yoyo reel and it's caught me many a nothing! Prefer the sound of your idea less crap to carry

Hey Joe, you'll have to show us how to set that up. I still have my yoyo reel and it's caught me many a nothing! Prefer the sound of your idea less crap to carry
I'll draw a diagram take a photo then post it woody

If there was no one left around to pass comment I'd also consider building a fish wheel. There are a couple of places on the Wye that are suitable without building the floating pontoons. Gill nets are super effective as long as there isn't much floating crap in a river to tear them up. Yoyo reels are widely used to target certain species in the US and they are supposed to be effective.
Joe's method of the bent sapling to strike the hook and play the fish is probably the most pleasing aesthetically as well as having the lowest carbon footprint but also the most difficult to get right.
I'd be very interested in the trigger mechanism that you would use Joe, I'm assuming it's suitably bushcrafty, whittled out of bits
Yep just two simple notched pegs ,one driven into the ground one attached by a piece of line to a look in the fishing line which in turn is attached to a springy saplings if that all makes sense

Nice one. Thanks Joe:thumbsup:
15595852619782161745134259999903.jpg

It makes perfect sense Joe, is there a specific direction that the trigger stick is orientated? My major difficulty would be gauging how much of a strike would be enough but not too much.

It makes perfect sense Joe, is there a specific direction that the trigger stick is orientated? My major difficulty would be gauging how much of a strike would be enough but not too much.
Ideally the top peg should have the side away from the notch towards the water so that the fish strikes away from it.with light striking fish you can set the trigger as little as 8th inch if the notches are square

Yep just two simple notched pegs ,one driven into the ground one attached by a piece of line to a loop in the fishing line which in turn is attached to a springy saplings if that all makes sense
Planning on a jaunt Thursday afternoon, going to give it a go setting this up

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you don't put a hook on it you'll still be on the right side of legal Jon. (You won't catch much though.)

As long as you don't put a hook on it you'll still be on the right side of legal Jon. (You won't catch much though.
I had many Yorkshire brown trout at Ripon parks using that method Ystranc and no its not strictly legal but when TSHTF who's going to worry about legal

Since I'm the one talking about fish wheels I can hardly be the one to complain about a hook and line. Setting one for just a couple of days could net a hundred salmon or more. They're just too effective to be allowed on top of commercial fishing and the effects of pollution they could easily wipe out fish stocks. They're simply not sustainable in British rivers as they are.

Since I'm the one talking about fish wheels I can hardly be the one to complain about a hook and line. Setting one for just a couple of days could net a hundred salmon or more. They're just too effective to be allowed on top of commercial fishing and the effects of pollution they could easily wipe out fish stocks. They're simply not sustainable in British rivers as they are.
I know mate, we don't have anything that compares to the Yukon

Do you reccomend matt black monofilament? It's pretty hard to spot if it's in the shade.
These days I prefer braid Ystranc and using the trigger method I don't go less than 15bs, I learned the the hard way when a pike took my fish

As long as you don't put a hook on it you'll still be on the right side of legal Jon. (You won't catch much though.)
Does that count on an estuary? Know nothing about fishing laws when it comes to sea fishing

Does that count on an estuary? Know nothing about fishing laws when it comes to sea fishing
I'm guessing that it would not be ok within the mouth of an estuary and there are better methods available if you're in tidal water.

Not sure what the law is regarding leaving your tackle un attended Jon but I would have thought you'd been fine on an estuary

When I was young I used to set nightlines along the beach just north of Liverpool. I would use surveyors line with a 200+lbs breaking strain and set 40lb traces off it so that they didn't quite overlap eg. 1m traces set at 2.2m intervals each baited with a lugworm that I'd dig on the way down the beach as the tide went out.
Whenever it was low tide I would be off down to the beach to empty my lines....not much fun being an ugly kid that smells of fish but it paid for my first car.
Much of my catch was sold to a Chinese restaurant called the golden bridge.

Back