• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge

GaryHW

Very Talkative
Wednesday, myself and the long haired general are off to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge has anyone here ever tried it?

The peaks of Pen-y-Ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside are known collectively as the Yorkshire Three Peaks. They are often walked as a circular route taking in all three mountains in one day. The route is 24 miles (38.6km) long and involves 5000 ft (1600 metres) of vertical ascent.

I did Ingleborough about 20 years ago. Pen-y-Ghent about 5 years ago. My old bones didn't mind climbing Pen-y-Ghent but they didn't like coming down on the steep side. I was suffering for a couple of days afterwards. I've never done Whernside, and now I don't think I ever will. Good luck with doing three at once.

Good luck for the challenge.......hope all goes well and the weather is kind to you.

Is this an organised event.......or self organised?

Wednesday, myself and the long haired general are off to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge has anyone here ever tried it?

The peaks of Pen-y-Ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside are known collectively as the Yorkshire Three Peaks. They are often walked as a circular route taking in all three mountains in one day. The route is 24 miles (38.6km) long and involves 5000 ft (1600 metres) of vertical ascent.
Aye but it were more’n 30 years back when I were jus’ a lad. I think we did it a bit later in the year to get a dry day and some extra hours of daylight.

I did it about a million years ago when I was stationed at Caterick, Start and finish at a pub the name of which I can't remember. What I do remember is that it was p%ssing it down. The secret to success is not to start off like a racing snake instead you need to pace yourself

The coming down is definitely the hardest part. I did Killimangaro a few years ago, going up was fine, but due to altitude, was slow. The two days of continuous downhill was, quite frankly………..a REAL bitch!

The very best of luck. 👍

Back