• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
I wish the producer of this video had chosen a better name, I know some people are offended by the "F" word regardless of its context. I recieved a warning on another forum saying the "F" word was not allowed & the video was removed. To be fair, it was not I that mentioned the "F" word, it is simply the title of this video. I hope this video does not break any rules on this forum, because I found this video well worth watching to the very end. Please try & ignore the title. I hope members watch this video & can take the time to comment. This is a major issue in our society today & we as preppers are in the minority. I would like to see a discussion on the issues raised in this video.
Thank you.
Keith.
NOTE: lonewolf, if you think this is not acceptable, please feel free to delete it, I will not be offended.
Keith.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
What issues though Keith? Nothing new there at all, badly presented and, quite frankly, disingenuous. It offers no real solutions.

Keith

Very Addicted
What issues though Keith? Nothing new there at all, badly presented and, quite frankly, disingenuous. It offers no real solutions.
This video shows we have a problem, the problem being that the majority of people are not seeing or not able or not willing to do anything. I thought perhaps people on here might have something to say about that. Badly presented? Yes perhaps a little "B" grade but for me it got the message across. What will it take for the majority of the people to say "enough is enough"? What is there that we can do? Can this be solved peacefully or will it take a violent revolution? All those questions are in this video, I thought perhaps people here could comment on what they thought could be done. The video is not supposed to give us the solution, it is up to us given the information to come up with the solution. What is your solution Brownbear?
Keith.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I don't really have a solution Keith, I wish I did, but I don't. The issue as I see it is that those who are aware of the issues are, in all likelihood, doing what they can anyway (you and I for example) and the "head buried in the sand" brigade, who are probably the majority of the world's population neither care, nor wish to.

There is nothing new in the film that has not been in the public domain for along time, some issues since the 1960s with no tangible progress.

As individuals we can change our lives at a local level, but our influence can only be felt if we become the majority and, sadly, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
most people are too set in their ways, only care about their own little lives or are on life's "hamster wheel" as step daughter calls it. I don't think they will do anything, even something small like recycling, call it human nature if you like, but people wont do anything until it affects them personally by which time its far too late.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
most people are too set in their ways, only care about their own little lives or are on life's "hamster wheel" as step daughter calls it. I don't think they will do anything, even something small like recycling, call it human nature if you like, but people wont do anything until it affects them personally by which time its far too late.

And that, I think is the key issue, that folks will only realise when it's too late.

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Or maybe they'll never realise because all the doom and gloom won't come to fruition and they've been right all along...

lonewolf

yeah right!!:rofl: normalcy bias rules.
I hope it works out for them, they'll be up the creek without a paddle if it dosent!:lol:

Keith

Very Addicted
So, as the girl in the video said, we are all.....stuffed! I suppose when those living on the coast lose their homes to the rising seas, they may join the fight. Certainly you can bet they will be trying to sue the government, but as we all agree, this may be too late. Fixing climate change is not like getting your freezer repaired, once the ice has gone it is not coming back for a very long time, if ever! So we prepare the best way we can & face the inevitable. For some of us on here we will not see the worst of it, but our grandchildren will. Maybe being hit by an EMP is not such a bad idea, this would certainly slow the degradation of our planet. Like it said, if we do not have the option of a peaceful revolution, well, what other choice is there for some?
Keith.

lonewolf

the summer ice in the artic or the lack of it I should say is making the polar bears starve. and that's just the start of it.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Only this week the BBC news ran a story on the lack of ice in the arctic being the "normal" situation. When we look back in history to some of the failed attempts to navigate the North West Passage and consider that it is now open for most of the year, every year, there is incontrovertible proof that the climate is warming.

lonewolf

I do worry about ice at the poles melting, all that fresh water in the oceans will stop the gulf stream in its tracks and we will be in for another ice age.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Indeed, and that has become a generally accepted theory. The scientific discussions re the Greenland ice cap that have been taking place this week suggesting a see level rise of many metres that will make many places inhabitable (New York, Chicago, New Orleans, Hong Kong, Sydney, Perth, London, Bergen, Copenhagen, The Hague etc) and the population displacement caused by a gradual sea rise in those urban areas will be enough to plunge the world into financial collapse, famine and worse.

I see climate change as one of the greatest threats to the planet, more so than nuclear conflict etc, as it will hit at the food we eat and where we live.

lonewolf

climate change could be gradual and most people wont even notice it,maybe food gets a bit dearer but apart from a moan about the price that will be all.
overpopulation is something else that worries me, 50 million was always the optimum maximum population for this country and its already exceeded that, if we had to be self sufficient as a nation we could only feed half that number.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
You are absolutely right. It could be done, but not without difficulty. During WW2 all the parks and gardens were turned over to food production to keep the population fed (I know in saying this that there were a lot of UD and Canadian soldiers stationed here that boosted the population numbers). We could do it again, but gardens in newer houses are smaller, and green public spaces are dwindling.

I was told only recently that the population of London had reached 7 million, I cannot even imagine what that number of people would look like as a group if they all stood shoulder to shoulder, never mind how one might feed them.

lonewolf

rationing would never work again like it did in WW2, to many "gimme" generation for that to ever succeed.
most gardens, and many new houses don't have gardens, are just kids play areas these days, it takes time to get a growing area off the ground, and I have had many allotments in the past, and growing isn't something one can learn in 5 minutes.
I was told the population of London was 8 million and that's the figure I've used in any calculations, not that anyone could get out of London alive post SHTF, its surrounded by too many built up areas and the road system would just grind to a halt.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Agree m8. that's over a tenth of the UK population. It's a lot to get one's head around :)

lonewolf

more like an eighth but yes its a lot of people and the survival rate wouldn't be high with people in such numbers and such close proximity, and different races and religions would add to the conflict to say nothing of the disease, TB is prevalent in some boroughs I believe and this would add to the problems.