• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Younger generations and the natural world

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Ladies and gents. Food for thought.

We don't have kids, but we have nephew and neices, and it seems to us that youngsters these days don't seem to have the same level of exposure to, or interest in, the natural world as we did at their age.

In our view the world is changing and younger generations appear to have extraordinary knowledge of things our generation will never understand, but many seem less connected with their natural environment (e.g the seasons, plants and animals and practical skills related to going bush).

So I have two questions of the forum. Especially those with kids or working with young people.

First, is this observation correct?

Second, if its true, does it actually matter?

Cheers

Alan

It’s difficult to say yes or no to the first question (well for me it is !) as more and more kids seem to be fighting for our environment, however there is an argument about teenagers spending more and more time playing computers,(like my son lol) for my family, I try to get, and keep my kids interest in nature and being outdoors, but I would never let my girls go out without me until there teens, which is strange as I can remember playing at rivers, fishing, building shelters as young as 6, without adults, sometimes it was a group of us. Wouldn’t dream of letting my 6 year old out near a river or away from my back garden without me, even when shes playing in the back garden we are at the window watching her.... which in turn could make me part of the problem.

Second question, yes I think it matters, if the children don’t know how to love it, understand it’s purpose and respect it, then why would they want to keep it.

The younger kids in our family all get the full on Welsh experience of livestock, rivers, mountains and being slept on (squashed) by large dogs...they seem to thrive on it and I'm usually impressed by how much they take in. Both Louise and I are reasonably knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna, we enjoy passing it on. My youngest second cousin is only two so it is a little early to tell but we have high hopes for him.

I agree with @Ark79 :eek::rofl: ................more and more young people are fighting for the planet and their future on it.
Youngsters who are city dwellers dip out a lot these days with little or no access to the countryside and whats in it.......what it's all about.
School trips that would introduce them to countryside are shrouded in red tape.....expensive...... and far and few between these days.
Mums and Dads are under a lot of pressure to put food on the table and keep a roof over their families heads so have little quality time to play with...... to reach out and explore with their children.

Our whole family are very aware that we are extremely lucky to live where we do......in the South West.......surrounded by the countryside and the beaches....farming........ and are able to enjoy it with our children and grandchildren and pass on the respect and knowledge we have to them because its on our doorstep and it is their home to.

Attitudes and social behaviour have changed dramatically........people are becoming less interactive with each other......years ago you could smile at most people and say "good morning" with a smile........ and get a return greeting and smile.......to most now.....if you do the same they look at you as if they think you are going to rob...rape.....or kill them.

As for kids on computers......look at us here now.....chatting away on forums :rofl:

Just for the sake of it ! Just asked my 6 year old, what would you need a fire for in the woods, her answer was ..... to stay warm dad, we could use it to cook marshmallows, am taking that as a plus 😂

I think that the honest answer to question one is yes, in general the younger generations are not as closely connected to or have the same level of interest in Nature or the countryside as previous generations.
There are many reasons but I believe it is the sheer diversity of other, easier accessed attractions that are the prime cause. Take kids into the countryside and let them loose and most will find something to interest them or occupy themselves, even if it's falling in the River.
Playing computer games is so much warmer, drier and you don't get stung in your bedroom, plus your parents are happier because they know where you are.....

People in general only protect or have concern for what they know or are familiar with and care for. A welfare fund for Pandas or rescued Tiger Cubs will attract many contributions, while a fund to protect Bee Orchids growing on a slope of the South Downs will struggle for Pennies. ( first hand knowledge here)

In my opinion, unless a definite link or interest in Nature and the Countryside is encouraged in younger people then the conservation and protection of both will suffer neglect as their importance takes a back seat to easier accessed (via Amazon probably) attractions.

PS My Great Grandson at 2 years old attends a twice monthly Forest School. He goes home to be scraped clean of mud and de wood smoked... but he loves it..
happy0034.gif

Attachments

• happy0034.gif
    happy0034.gif
    139 bytes · Views: 8
The answer to the first could be viewed in a geographical point also, Alaska for example, I couldn’t imagine the children growing up without the knowledge and understanding of there surrounding, also the skills to survival off the land

I can't help but think if we had the distractions that are available now we'd have probably been seduced by all the Gucci gadgetry too. For better or for worse things have moved on since kids would stay out to stupid o'clock kicking a football around all evening or heading off on our bikes to the beach or woods.

I can't help but think if we had the distractions that are available now we'd have probably been seduced by all the Gucci gadgetry too. For better or for worse things have moved on since kids would stay out to stupid o'clock kicking a football around all evening or heading off on our bikes to the beach or woods.
I suppose our parents were criticised by theirs for not working down the pit or where ever by 14 years old. When i was a kid if i wanted to see my mates i'd have to arrange it before hand at school then on my bike occasionally to their houses or more commonly to what we referred to as the rec ( rek? Wreck? Don't know , we only ever said it never wrote it down) a large area of woodland , heath , slagheaps and a large reservoir . Even phoning them wasn't always an option , we were quite late getting a phone and even then it was situated in a cold hall so no long calls on a winters day. My fifteen year old does use her phone and computor to keep in touch with her friends and play games with them. They all have computors , they have to for school and it's understandable that they use them for stuff other than just learning. Plus side is that she's better informed than we ever were and probably smarter too.

I used to play on farms; you’d struggle to find a more dangerous environment....

I'd hoped you would turn up 38, do you not teach kids this stuff ?

yes....and yes.

I was blessed with the bush.................not not THAT!!!!:mad:...the African bush!!!!

I lived abroad as a kid too, up to 3 I was in Australia (so doesn't really count) but then New Zealand until I was 10 before my parents got homesick and came back to the UK, the swine. We used to have pretty much free reign to ride our bikes wherever we fancied, lived in Napier so not really the sticks although we were in the 'burbs. Was a pretty great early childhood although I didn't realise it at the time. To be fair, St. Andrews was hardly a sh*t place to move to, at least until I discovered booze and bright lights. Plenty of beach and woods to go and explore and after joining the cadets I got into the hill walking so could go away on expeds. Wasn't a bad life and was able to escape to the bright lights of Embra to do all the young man stuff.

I'd hoped you would turn up 38, do you not teach kids this stuff ?

I lived abroad as a kid too, up to 3 I was in Australia (so doesn't really count) but then New Zealand until I was 10 before my parents got homesick and came back to the UK, the swine. We used to have pretty much free reign to ride our bikes wherever we fancied, lived in Napier so not really the sticks although we were in the 'burbs. Was a pretty great early childhood although I didn't realise it at the time. To be fair, St. Andrews was hardly a sh*t place to move to, at least until I discovered booze and bright lights. Plenty of beach and woods to go and explore and after joining the cadets I got into the hill walking so could go away on expeds. Wasn't a bad life and was able to escape to the bright lights of Embra to do all the young man stuff.
Hey Bam

That sounds like a great childhood you had, but tough break your folks taking you back to Pomm like that...

But look at the bright side... Over here you might have done your service trying to mop up the inside of a leaky Collins class boat... You were far better off in the Royal Navy! :)

Alan

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Hey Bam

That sounds like a great childhood you had, but tough break your folks taking you back to Pomm like that...

But look at the bright side... Over here you might have done your service trying to mop up the inside of a leaky Collins class boat... You were far better off in the Royal Navy! :)

Alan
I'd planned on heading to Australia and NZ for a visit with the idea that if I liked it I would stay (got an Aussie passport (lapsed)) but ended up having a kid instead which threw things ten left. You play the hand that's dealt you eh.

Napier's just great and a wonderful coast...............just so love NZ. As an ex pat Aussie once described it to me....."God signing off on creation" (ticking the box in the bottom right corner) :thumbsup:

I seem to have mis played every hand, and there were some blinding opportunities for me........................... and that is purely my fault.

"I got it wrong again, Dad!"

Napier's just great and a wonderful coast...............just so love NZ. As an ex pat Aussie once described it to me....."God signing off on creation" (ticking the box in the bottom right corner) :thumbsup:

I seem to have mis played every hand, and there were some blinding opportunities for me........................... and that is purely my fault.

"I got it wrong again, Dad!"
Are you happy with your lot ??? For me, that's all you can ask for.

I am supremely fortunate. By good fortune, not my skill or intellect :whistle:

Reactions: Bam
Back