• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Your Preferred Method Of Cooking over an Open Fire?

Keith

Very Addicted
Post shtf we will be cooking over an open fire long term, so just how do you normally cook over an open fire? Do you simply place a frying pan or kettle on the fire? Or do you construct a method of keeping your cooking vessel up over the fire?
Add images if you have them please.
Keith.

Making Camp full.JPG

If I am using my oilcloth shelter I hang my kettle from the center pole that I use in the center of my oilcloth.
Snow Walk for trek video 17-7-2015 003.JPG2.JPG

If I construct a primitive shelter such as this wigwam, then I use a tripod of bush sticks to hang my kettle from outside, & if I am cooking inside I simply suspend the kettle from the top of the wigwam poles. If I am cooking meat, I roast it on the end of a pointed stick next to (not over) the fire.
Keith.

I will be using a rocket stove. they are far more efficient and throw off practicall zero smoke and you automatically have a pot stand. A simple bushcrafty one that you can build in minutes with what you have to hand just for you Keith.:)

It gives you an idea, but I won't be moving around so I would have something like this

fuelsavingstove.jpg

I've made a couple in the past but I just don't trust them...illogical maybe but they are not a fire of choice for me. To be honest, unless I'm winter camping I don't bother with a fire, just use a Trangia or Omnifuel.

Pretty much impossible to put it out quickly but you can tailor the size of log that you need for the time you want it to burn. I usually use a small dry piece of pine or birch, (split into six quadrants and bound with wire). Both types of wood split easily and will burn with a hot fast flame. (The more splits the faster it burns but the less stable it becomes later on) Some people like to start them with a candle stub tucked into the centre of the bundle but it's almost as easy to set it going with a little teepee fire on top so that the burning embers drop down into the gaps. The air enters from the sides causing the fire's heat to concentrate at the centre of the log. They're great for resting a frying pan or kettle on.

Back