• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Your starter for 10....

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Calling all tentologists, wigwammy wizards and Tarpaulinas....If a Tarp or Tent with the silver reflective coating on one side loses the silver coating ( in patches) does the fabric remain waterproof? I'm guessing it does and the silver is purely a Thermal addition, but I don't know. Anyone offer experience?

For a bonus point...guess who hand washed a 60 year old tent which now has a few baldy silver patches on the inside..( It had to be done, and it was a calculated risk, not a completely dumb move)

Calling all tentologists, wigwammy wizards and Tarpaulinas....If a Tarp or Tent with the silver reflective coating on one side loses the silver coating ( in patches) does the fabric remain waterproof? I'm guessing it does and the silver is purely a Thermal addition, but I don't know. Anyone offer experience?

For a bonus point...guess who hand washed a 60 year old tent which now has a few baldy silver patches on the inside..( It had to be done, and it was a calculated risk, not a completely dumb move)
Yes the silver coating is purely a thermal layer and should not change the water proof integrity of the outer layer.

Reactions: Bam
Thanks Joe, I was hoping that would be answer. Even kept in a dry and airy place, the old tent still showed signs of Mildew which I thought would be more damaging than washing off the silver coating. Hand washed it in NixWax cleaner/re-proofer and when it's completely dry in this lovely sunshine I'll get busy with the Fabsil spray, just to boost the NixWax. :thumbsup:

Thanks Joe, I was hoping that would be answer. Even kept in a dry and airy place, the old tent still showed signs of Mildew which I thought would be more damaging than washing off the silver coating. Hand washed it in NixWax cleaner/re-proofer and when it's completely dry in this lovely sunshine I'll get busy with the Fabsil spray, just to boost the NixWax. :thumbsup:
Should be good for another 60 years mate

I'm assuming this was a synthetic material? 🤔

JUst I couldn't imagine a thermal/reflective spray on, on a cotton?
I do have a cheapo tarp I bought on ebay that has such a finish? Its what I used a my first tarp tent on the wild canoe trips this season......
Its just hard to imagine a synthetic material lasting decades!

I once bought a GC tent with a synthetic flysheet, the latter, now very rare as they are now so fragile?

Back