• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Zebra Billy cans, which one??

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Hi all, I have been given permission to buy myself a new Zebra Billy in the new year, but I can't decide which one. I have the 10cm and it has been very good but I find it a bit small for me. The 12cm doesn't appear much larger so have come to the decision it's either 14cm or 16cm. But can't decide which one. Anyone have any experience or advice?
Cheers

Have a look at Toaks and Tomshoo titanium billy cans if you want to carry them in a ruck sack!

This here is the 750 ml, but Toaks sells them in larger sizes too.

I dont know, if the cheaper Tomshoo exists in larger sizes. May be that they will come soon, if they do not still exist ...

I find the 14" Zebra good for me (solo) as I can fill it with the stuff I need.

This is a shortcut to the bit where i show the zebra contents:

I can get a couple of small onions in there too and/or an egg.

What is the weight of the 14 cm /2 litres zebra billy can?

The largest toaks titanium bushcraft pot with pot hanger and folding handels has 1600 ml using capacity, 1750 ml total capacity and costs 66€.
The weight is 170g plus 40 g for the lid, all together 210g.
145mm diameter, 106 mm high.

1750 /1600 is large enough for two persons.

Thank you!

If I let this internal plate away, what's the weight than?

The Bundeswehr mess kit has such a small internal extra plate too. Everybody I know threw it the first day away if he bought it for civil use.

My kitchen scales are not very accurate but I'd say it's around 600g without the internal pan.

Thanks!

That isn't so bad in my opinion.

The Bundeswehr aluminium mess kit without internal pan weights round about 450g, if I remember it right. Its volume is 1500 ml plus 500 ml in the lid. It was given to every soldier but planed for two.

I think it really depends what I want to do with the pot:
For Trekking now a days titanium is recommended.
For the boat the zebra pot is OK.

Out of the Land Rover the zebra is an option.
(But of course an aluminium pot fits better to the Defender. ;0)

But surely the short packing list is more important for the total weight of the ruck sack than the individual weight of every item. 500g nonsens are easily thrown in the pack!

Yes @Erbswurst but the OP wasn't about pot weight rather which Zebra pot was preferable ;) I can go either way, Titanium enough to poke a stick at, bought and given away Zebra pots, currently have the 16cm and it's great for a stew for 2, almost bombproof bushcraft wise, I'm going to buy the 14cm in the new year, why ? because I think they can stand up to a lot more than Titanium, and to be frank, I wouldn't want to treat my more expensive Titanium the way I know I can treat the Zebra pots.

It does prompt the question of what size your boots are. ;)

I've been wanting to get a zebra can because, well, everybody else has one. I usually go with a steel mess tin set I got from China which was surprisingly good but l daresay I'll follow the cool kids and get one. Any feedback appreciated.
Size 10 YDS falcon are my boots. Get one it will last you a lifetime. I only got a new one because the 10cm I have is too small

Reactions: Bam
Size 10 YDS falcon are my boots. Get one it will last you a lifetime. I only got a new one because the 10cm I have is too small

Cheers, I've seen a few youtube vids to mod them and I do like the look of them. I'm sure I'll get round to it. :)

Pay the extra to get the metal locking clips, it will save you tears in the future, wish I had, I did try and make the clips, a PITA so now I have no clips lol :)

Reactions: Bam
Back