• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Zebra Pot Baking

Well this evening is Beef joint cooking, only a small one ( oh eh Matron ) going to have the pot on it's side on top of my Vargo Ti Hex stove, inside that the Stormin' Stove, longer less rampant burn than the Trangia, inside the pot, some Lava rock and some mesh, I'll post up pics :)

Well, what to say, I got it cooked, eventually :( the Stormin' Stove wasn't cutting it due to being a slower burn ( not the stove's fault ) that and the height didn't go well, so I had a thought, wood pellets in the Lixada stove, kept going out, Kak pellets, so after much ado it's cooked and eaten, I took a couple of pics but won't bother uploading BUT, I think the woodstove with plenty of dry twigs / wood fed slow and steady would work a treat, so much so that I'll try again at the weekend, for reference, the joint was 480g and (overcooked) in an hour and a half, this time includes all the refueling and stove changes, tending fire etc, not bad but not brilliant............................don't touch that dial, stay tuned for more epic cooking adventures ;)

Oh go on then, one pic

20180607_161648.jpg

All good stuff Al :thumbsup:

My choice of fuel is wood or charcoal at the moment.
You may get more joy from that stove in the picture using the pellets if you drill a few holes in the side plates mate........will give more air to the fire :thumbsup:

Just a thought mate;)

All good stuff Al :thumbsup:

My choice of fuel is wood or charcoal at the moment.
You may get more joy from that stove in the picture using the pellets if you drill a few holes in the side plates mate........will give more air to the fire :thumbsup:

Just a thought mate;)

That wasn't the pellet stove Bill, that was the one I put the meths burner ( Bio Ethanol ) in, I think the pellets maybe a bit carp, had them open a while ?

Ohhhhh I see Al........seeing it in the picture with the Zebra on top and the beef next to it I took it for granted it was that stove you used :thumbsdown::D
I did think to my self. .......won't get many pellets in that :rofl::rofl:

Like you I have wanted to try the wood pellets in the Fire box too.....clean and easy fuel.
Apparently it's not a good idea to use the cat litter type you can buy at a pet shop because they have chemicals in them?
I need to research that further.

When you and Rob camp on the coastal venue where there is not much wood about the pellets or charcoal would be a good choice.
Different story in the woods fuel everywhere :)

I still need to try some more Bannock and have a go at the muffin.....falling behind here :D

Well my pellets don't do this, an hour and a half off of one fill, I'm going to order some Animal Dreams pellets as per video, if I still don't get this type of burn it's the stove ?

Lets us know how you get on with them Al.......could add a bit of crushed charcoal to the mix??

Good video clip mate:thumbsup:

Couldn't wait. ordered the MKII stove from Woodgasstoves, they have 'seconds' nothing wrong with the stove re functionality, just cosmetic flaws :)

good ideas there, might try making one

They are easy to make but obviously the bought ones are twin walled and break down, I've made a few over the years, I made a big one from paint tins that heated up my caravan awning many moons ago, let us know how you get on with yours, I have a couple of small coffee tins that are begging to be made into a gasifier stove, now I've ordered this one though that is maybe redundant ?

Well my genuine Wildwood Gasstove arrived, tried the same pellets as in the knock off version, a few feather sticks and a cotton wool / vas bud later and it's going like a good un' I'll probably try a Poussin in it this week, if I can find one ? failing that a chicken crown maybe ? Anyway, just to say that the real stove is far and away better than the knock off and at £25 delivered not unreasonable imho :)

EDIT: the £25 is for the seconds, nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell :)

Back