• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Zeroing

lol

Extremely Addicted
Recently missed one or two pigeon's brain boxes that really shouldn't have been missed circa 30 yards............
I don't shoot that much anymore, just the odd pigeon for the pot (Weihrauch HW 97 .22)........anyway, what was going on?

I put a target up the garden, so I could see my miss' and put 3 pellets up there, free standing as I don't see the point on rests, clamps and cushions as I don't shoot with all of that; I want it as shot..........
A lovely grouping about farthing size or less, 2 pellets on pellet... but..... about an inch to the left!! I was amazed that a scope can go out by so much!!
Cranked the ratchets round and over and grouped 6 in a similar grouping, but spot on.... which is a relief; thought it might be me, and the first rounds were just coincidence!!! ;):thumbsup:

It’s funny you should mention that, I’ve had pretty much exactly the same thing happen to me shooting ferals around the yard. Lined the shot up pulled the trigger and was genuinely surprised when the aforementioned pigeon flew off (even more so second time :( ). Like you I rezeroed and an inch or so off to the left. To make it worse a couple of employees were with me at the time so there’s no way I’ll be allowed to forget it any time soon but “hey ho”. I suppose at least, looking on the bright side, it was a clean miss both times :)

Something similar with myself, I was always zeroing in my scope. (Always check the aim before the hunt anyway) The only thing was it was two clicks every time in the same direction, it almost became a habit turning it back, sometime I just turned it because I knew it was off ,,it baffled me 🤷🏼‍♂️ I did figure it out tho, had a little chuckle to myself. When packing the rifle away in my bag I was catching the wheel every time with the bottom of the zip 😁(no caps on the wheels) .simple fix to a simple problem, new bag that wasn’t tight to zip up.

Reactions: Bam
Ark 79........that would be good were it not for the fact that both adjusters have screw on covers, lol!!

Mice in the bag?

If I knew why this happens I'd be making a ton of money as an instructor. My own failings in the past have been down to misjudging range or inconsistent eye position. Practice helps but I also find myself re-zeroing my sight quite often.

Reactions: lol
...........now someone is going to say, "What's a farthing?"

(Bar Stewards):mad:
I'm pretty clever coz I know exactly what a farthing was, it was the back wheel on an early form of bicycle and now I want my gold star

I used to shoot recoiling class in field target competitiono, my rifle would be checked to make certain it was zeroed properly and my dearly departed friend always said which makes me laugh. No matter how much you check your gun it always comes down to the Knut behind the butt. :D

Back