• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Zodiac and outboard. . . Another boat project!

And absolutely no point with and keel system with a 150cm long floor lol

It's going to have to be the thinnest ply joe as I like the light weight if the boat ;)

Well the new carburettor arrived this morning so it's now fitted and I changed the impeller, spark plug, crank case and gear case oils so all done on the engine, the 6hp carb has a much bigger intake port than the 4hp one and when they are compared together the 4hp carb really restricted and choked the air intake, with the 6hp carb in the engine runs nice with plenty of power :eek:

4hp carberetter:
View attachment 11500

6hp carberetter:

View attachment 11501

Made a start on the boat, it was a challenge masking up and painting in the wind! We haven't filled all the dings in the transom as we looking for a used look and just wanted to prevent any rot to the bare wood ;) the transom was sanded, cleaned then primer filler undercoat and ready for the black coats:

View attachment 11502
View attachment 11503
View attachment 11504
View attachment 11505
View attachment 11506

Looking good lee

Looking good lee

Very nice boat mark, this one is a keeper ;) very light and packs down small matched up with the 3.3hp a perfect river and ocean bay boat, Aldo handy stored on the coming speed boat as a life raft lol

Good idea to keep it for the speed boat and have a little fun with it to. Wouldn’t mind a boat myself but that’s a way of at the moment lol.

Good idea to keep it for the speed boat and have a little fun with it to. Wouldn’t mind a boat myself but that’s a way of at the moment lol.

Nows the time to buy mark, pick up one needing some tlc lol would be a good winter project ;) I see a lot of boats and outboard engines i would jump at on gumtree and sphock listed in your area :D

Boat transom painted and lacquered, fully cleaned, old punctures reglued and new ones patched she's holding good air pressure ;) rear transom plate fitted, transom eye plates fitted but the towing eye bolts didnt arrived in time so we made rope ones, broken floor slat replaced and the original ones rewaxed, a side rope fitted to right the boat if capsized :eek: or should I say WHEN capsized lol, a thick bow floating mooring line fitted and separate 5 meter carabiner clip extension and towing line, waterproof kit bag that clips in the boat as well as an outboard and fuel can securing rope. We've decided we won't fit the towing eye bolts when they arrive as we like the rope ones as they add to the general rustic and used look we wanted to retain, we're not fitting fishing rod holders to this boat for fishing but might fit one for a light pole, I havnt had time to source new oar locks and suitable oars so for now we will just tie a couple of spare oars we have to the boat side grab lines, we will probably stick to the Johnson 3.3hp for use on rivers due to the speed limits and it will also keep the boat very light, we may use the 6hp for the ocean depending on our river testing this week :D great little zodiac, well worth the few quid the time to save it! ;)
Time to name her!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well I fully tested the Zodiac and it's a good small boat, the tubes are small and you do notice this compared to newer larger inflatables with 42cm tubes. It went well with the 3.3hp and would just about plane with one person, I put the 6hp four stroke on and the zodiac planed like a lunatic but the 6hp four stroke is way to heavy (I believe around 30kg) and when you stand as close to the transom as you can with the 6hp the transom just manages to go under the water line :eek: this could be solved by some weight added up front but I don't think that's the answer I think a two stroke (hence light weigh) 5hp is the answer for this boat. All in all a good little lightweight boat that I would be happy to use anytime in rivers and even offshore ;)

(@ joe I got the weight of the 3.3hp wrong it's not 17kg it around 11kg)

image.jpeg

Well I fully tested the Zodiac and it's a good small boat, the tubes are small and you do notice this compared to newer larger inflatables with 42cm tubes. It went well with the 3.3hp and would just about plane with one person, I put the 6hp four stroke on and the zodiac planed like a lunatic but the 6hp four stroke is way to heavy (I believe around 30kg) and when you stand as close to the transom as you can with the 6hp the transom just manages to go under the water line :eek: this could be solved by some weight added up front but I don't think that's the answer I think a two stroke (hence light weigh) 5hp is the answer for this boat. All in all a good little lightweight boat that I would be happy to use anytime in rivers and even offshore ;)

(@ joe I got the weight of the 3.3hp wrong it's not 17kg it around 11kg)

View attachment 11562
It sounds as though you got a bargain there Lee

Picking up a 1990's 25hp for the waveline v floor Saturday joe ;) the 8hp doesn't push it well with 2 people and with 3 people the 15hp is like a 5hp with one person lol

Picking up a 1990's 25hp for the waveline v floor Saturday joe ;) the 8hp doesn't push it well with 2 people and with 3 people the 15hp is like a 5hp with one person lol
The 25 is a good engine mate, I had a 25 Evinrude on my 16 footer

This one (if it passes inspection lol) is a hard to find engine joe, two stroke twin cylinder and a single carb ;) with gears selector on the tiller ;)

This one (if it passes inspection lol) is a hard to find engine joe, two stroke twin cylinder and a single carb ;) with gears selector on the tiller ;)
I have every faith in your ability mate

Back