• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

130 Year Old Saw

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Aye Up,

25 years ago we moved into our current house.
In the garden was a wooden pergola.
It was already well weathered with grey timber showing through the rusty coloured preservative in many places.
The joints were loose and there probably wasn’t much more than the wisteria growing over it keeping it together.

We tolerated it for about 5 years but when our first grand child came along the thought of one of the heavy cross spars coming down inspired action. I took it down and most of it was skipped but I did keep some of the uprights and a couple of the cross spars in the shed ‘just in case’.

Doing as I was told last year (sitting on the sofa) I saw a bloke on UToob raving about a ‘buck saw’. That’s a frame saw I thought, thinking back to my school woodwork days when they were still commonplace.

Several days later the shed was a bit tidier and I’ve got a buck frame saw.
It was made using only hand tools.
It’s been used in anger many times in my garden and also on a large wind blown hornbeam which was partially blocking a lane near us last winter. It is seriously effective.

Now my arborist pal says that the wood - oak - probably wouldn’t have been originally harvested until it was decades old. He says that back in the eighties a load of 80 year American oak was imported into the U.K. at least some of which would have found it’s way into products sold by garden centres.

If that is the case my repurposing means I’ve possibly got a saw thats made from wood at least 120/130 years old!
Who needs plastic!

D86CCE81-3876-4163-BFCD-8888B057A07A.jpeg

2439AB6D-5707-474D-BBDC-04EC76964CE1.jpeg

453DAB2B-1B89-4338-BB65-20F671DD26C8.jpeg

Hello Ark,

Bahco brand 21 inch.
1x wet cut (larger gaps between the teeth).
1x dry cut.
They were about three and half quid each off Ebabe.

If it helps I’ll measure the sections of the saw up up and anotate an image and post tomorrow/Saturday?

80 year old oak is practically an acorn; the oak beams for ships that subsequently fount themselves repurposed into roof beams and furniture would have been a minimum of 250 years old! When we had a wooden navy oak trees were crown property, the ship builders had first dibs on any oak trees that came down.

I had a dig through my shed yesterday and found what is actually an old hardwood buck saw/bow saw which is probably in the region of at least 100 years old.
It has an interesting distinction in that the blade is mounted on swivels so it can also be used to cut boards or veneers along the grain. It's not designed for logging, more for cabinet making.
I had others but sold them yonks ago

I had a dig through my shed yesterday and found what is actually an old hardwood buck saw/bow saw which is probably in the region of at least 100 years old.
It has an interesting distinction in that the blade is mounted on swivels so it can also be used to cut boards or veneers along the grain. It's not designed for logging, more for cabinet making.
I had others but sold them yonks ago
I remember me fatha having those saws hanging on the wall in the cellar but without the blades as I think he found them hard to come by. The tension method was by way of a threaded bar instead of cordage.
We also had them at school but I mostly shied away from them as they appeared to be unwieldy!
Funny how things come back around.

I'll dig it out again and take a photograph when I have a spare moment, it's not really a buck saw as the blade is way too fine but it's built on the same principle.

Back