• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A night on Dartmoor

Morning my dears........how was your night?............can't smell any bacon cooking??................obviously the Bitch is still wrapped up in his Mankey :whistle::D
up early and yes bill you are correct i made the tea this morning :eek::rolleyes:;):rolleyes::)...

we got up around 7 ish had a brew and got squared away ... we headed in to prince town to a local cafe for breakfast and a warm up ... im home now so will get stuff unpacked and do a trip report a bit later :thumbsup:

The access to the site from the main road is fairly easy and then its a down hill walk of around 50 yrds till you get to where the woodland levels out ... the woodland is not to dense so you dont get the feeling of being boxed in and also you get to see the great views of the open moorland and a few tors between the trees :)...

the water source is close by (Drakes leat ) ... needless to say ALL water needs to be boiled if collected from the leat as @WildWood1965 discovered after he filled the bottle from the leat ( in the pictures ) i pointed out a dead sheep in the water a couple yards down stream from where he filled :D:rofl: as you can guess he was thrill,d with the prospect of having sheep broth flavored tea :rofl:...... rolling boil for a few minutes and good to go :thumbsup:

would i use the woodland again for a weekend ??? .... yes defo the walk back up the hill (even thou its short walk ) will make me pack a little lighter next time ...there is plenty of dead fall and dead standing wood for the fire .... and best of all its a quiet location :thumbsup:

site score .....

Access 8 out of 10
water source 10 out of 10
fire wood 10 out 10
level pitch,s 10 out of 10

Last edited:
The Gaffer In His Natural Habitat ! :)
IMG_20190413_154235444.jpg

IMG_20190413_154253344.jpg

The Moorland Outlook ! :)
IMG_20190413_162626322.jpg

IMG_20190413_162620731.jpg

IMG_20190413_162629918.jpg

Report to follow ! :thumbsup:

Cracking :thumbsup: Great pictures :D Is the last 3 pictures the view from the hammock?

That's the view from the woodland perimeter Mark but you do get a similar view from the hammock albeit from slightly further back :)

I did mean to take a hammock-cam photo but it slipped my mind ! :rolleyes:

Reporting For Duty At Knock-On Wood ! :D

We arrived on site at around 14:00 where we both got busy with our hammock & tarp set-ups. I had not used a hammock for a very long time & Matt's assistance was most welcome. :thumbsup:

Temporary shelters sorted & it was time for a brew whilst Matt got to work on the central-heating arrangement in his new fire-pit. In no time at all the fire was established & stacked up using the logs I had brought from home. :)

Following a wander around the woodland & a bit of banter around the fire it was time for the " Water Run " ! Access to the leat was a tad boggy in places so at this point Matt handed me the water bottle whilst cunningly declaring himself official photographer for the weekend ! :sneaky: We spotted the granite diving board & I went for it. So did I A: Splash more, B: Splash less or C: Splash none ? Well I am glad to say that the answer was C but that didn't explain Matt's disappointing look as he stood there snapping away like David Bailey in the hope of selling some hilarious pictures of a soaking wet Kneef to the News Of The World ! :D

Matt offered to cook the tea & he quickly rustled up a fine tasting sausage bap which went down a treat with lashings of HP sauce ! :thumbsup:

More fireside chat followed with the odd rumble of laughter chucked in for good measure & after a nip or two of Three Barrels brandy it was time to hit the sack ! :sleepy:

I slept o.k on & off & was pleased that I didn't have a hammock headache when I awoke which is always a bonus ! :thumbsup:

We packed away & had a brew & as usual we " LEFT NO TRACE " ! :thumbsup:

On the way home we stopped off at Fox Tor Cafe where I bought Matt his breakfast to make up for neglecting my domestic duties the previous evening ! ;)

All in all it was another memorable outing in great company in a nice location ! :)

Last word goes to the star of the show & that was Matt's new folding fire-pit which on 1st impressions is well worth a look & I am sure that The Gaffer will keep you updated on how it fares over a longer period of time ! :thumbsup:

KNEEF OUT ! :cool:

Nice write-up mate :thumbsup:

The new fire pit looks good and provides a nice sized contained fire.
Bonus having the tray beneath to save scorching the ground........., especially on beautiful Dartmoor :)

Look forward to your next venture :thumbsup:

Reporting For Duty At Knock-On Wood ! :D

We arrived on site at around 14:00 where we both got busy with our hammock & tarp set-ups. I had not used a hammock for a very long time & Matt's assistance was most welcome. :thumbsup:

Temporary shelters sorted & it was time for a brew whilst Matt got to work on the central-heating arrangement in his new fire-pit. In no time at all the fire was established & stacked up using the logs I had brought from home. :)

Following a wander around the woodland & a bit of banter around the fire it was time for the " Water Run " ! Access to the leat was a tad boggy in places so at this point Matt handed me the water bottle whilst cunningly declaring himself official photographer for the weekend ! :sneaky: We spotted the granite diving board & I went for it. So did I A: Splash more, B: Splash less or C: Splash none ? Well I am glad to say that the answer was C but that didn't explain Matt's disappointing look as he stood there snapping away like David Bailey in the hope of selling some hilarious pictures of a soaking wet Kneef to the News Of The World ! :D

Matt offered to cook the tea & he quickly rustled up a fine tasting sausage bap which went down a treat with lashings of HP sauce ! :thumbsup:

More fireside chat followed with the odd rumble of laughter chucked in for good measure & after a nip or two of Three Barrels brandy it was time to hit the sack ! :sleepy:

I slept o.k on & off & was pleased that I didn't have a hammock headache when I awoke which is always a bonus ! :thumbsup:

We packed away & had a brew & as usual we " LEFT NO TRACE " ! :thumbsup:

On the way home we stopped off at Fox Tor Cafe where I bought Matt his breakfast to make up for neglecting my domestic duties the previous evening ! ;)

All in all it was another memorable outing in great company in a nice location ! :)

Last word goes to the star of the show & that was Matt's new folding fire-pit which on 1st impressions is well worth a look & I am sure that The Gaffer will keep you updated on how it fares over a longer period of time ! :thumbsup:

KNEEF OUT ! :cool:
Looks brilliant. The fire looks very useful and cozy. Great pictures and report.

Back