• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A proper adventure

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Last Thursday, I arranged to cycle and meet up with a friend and her two children for a bushcrafty day in a beautiful pine forest with an awesome waterfall there too. About 20 miles from my home, near Abercych, lies Ffynone Woods and waterfall.
IMG_20201015_170156_1.jpg

A beautiful little spot, mixed woodlands of mainly long standing pine along with the remains of an ancient woodland of oak, beech, Hazel and a few sweet chestnut. About a 1/4 mile, wide meandering track, steep banks either side with plenty of sign of badger and fox, a plethora of bird life, including some rarities like tree creeper, goldfinches, and nuthatch.

Fynone.jpeg
416_7-full.jpg
images.jpeg

IMG_20201015_172049.jpg

It was a day out that I will remember for a long time to come. Spending the day in the woods with my friend and her children was a well needed break away, and filled with wonderful memories.

So was the freezing cold, completely unplanned overnighter with only half my kit because the back wheel of my bike was to put it politely, fluffed!
I had my tarp, hammock and underquilt, spare set of clothes, some food and a water filter setup, means to make fire and a head torch.
IMG_20201015_234536.jpg

IMG_20201015_232109.jpg

But although I was cold, it was still a beautiful night by the falls and a sky full of stars like I have never seen!
And the next day fair maiden returned to rescue the man in distress, Fed, watered and patched up, the bike and I had a lift home!
Asides from the mechanical difficulties, and the lack of kit, what a day or two to remember! And I can't wait for the next adventure either!

Last edited:
Nice to hear from you again Woody...make the most of it, after Friday we're knackered by lockdown again for at least a couple of weeks.

Hi Woodlander.

Fond memories indeed :)
Cracking area to go adventuring and camping in....looks lovely......bet the kids loved it too.
Thanks for sharing the trip with us......look forward to seeing more soon :thumbsup:

Nice photos.

Thanks for sharing, that looks a lovely spot, glad you had a good time, even if a wee bit cold in the night. So what would you do differently with your kit in case it happens again ???

What beautiful places some of you get to, and looked an amazing overnighter....superb!
(Will I make it up the back garden one night......looking a bit far from the sofa!!)

Back