• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ambient Meals Supplier.

Just arrived home from the gym and as I crawled through the front door, I found that the Menu Brochure from Parsley Box Meals had arrived. Once I had recovered enough strength to tear open the envelope, I was very pleasantly surprised that with very few exceptions everything looks extremely edible (for my tastes)

Remembering what Annie said about meal size, I think with the help of Idaho Instant Mash or some Uncle Ben's Rice, these meals could be my main grub supply in future. I'll send for some and do a taste test, although I admit that by Foodie standards I'm a moron as I'll eat virtually any 'plain' food, preferable Brit type foods.
I'm not sophisticated so pickled Locusts in Ginger sauce with a dash of French dressing doesn't really appeal to me, so those International jet setting food connoisseurs for which the Forum is renowned, may be disappointed with my opinion. :rofl: :rofl:

There's a box of 11 including 2 puds on the way for me Annie. Gave the "Eastern Delights" section a miss except sweet and sour chicken, I can cope with that....Thursday, free delivery...
party0021.gif

Attachments

• party0021.gif
    party0021.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 19
The Parsley Box arrived today, as promised by the supplier. First impressions of the company are very positive. I'm guessing that the couple who run the firm are perhaps experienced business people who are also keen 'Foodies' or amateur cooks 'and fans of the endless TV cooking programmes anyway, I bet.

Even the delivery box is well presented..company logos etc: not just any old cardboard box. Company info, a menu booklet and a discount code for my next purchase all inside..
P1050558.JPG
P1050559.JPG

Top is Apple and Black Current Crumble, bottom is Sausage Casserole.

P1050560.JPG
There's stuff in the fridge that needs eating first, so taste testing this lot will have to wait a day or two.. :D

Just been mulling over this post again after looking back on the Scotland trips photos :)
Nearer the time I think I will put in an order to cover our entire 2021 trip needs......... @Matt @WildWood1965 @gavin
May add some powdered mash to the list and some packet rice.

Will still buy fresh Bacon and eggs though.......and of course......caaaaaaake and bread :D

@Brambling Thanks Annie :thumbsup:

Last edited:
No problem Will :) I now have half a dozen in the cupboard for when I really can't be bothered. 2 minutes in the microwave and ping! a lovely hot dinner. The only one I'm not mad keen on is the Pork, Bacon and bean casserole. All the others I've tried have been really good, my favourite being the ham and pea hotpot. With the addition of mash, pasta, noodles or rice you'd have a good meal.

Just been mulling over this post again after looking back on the Scotland trips photos :)
Nearer the time I think I will put in an order to cover our entire 2021 trip needs......... @Matt @WildWood1965 @gavin

Will still buy fresh Bacon and eggs though.......and of course......caaaaaaake and bread :D

Each to their own of course but I like doing a cook from scratch when I'm out where possible, especially of an evening. Cannae wait to get out and try my new Zebra with a stew or curry, its a LOT smaller (and lighter) than my Dutch ovens.

Same as you Bam......I do enjoy knocking up a meal....especially a nice stew on a cold day....cant beat it :)

Look forward to seeing your Zebra Pot stew.......should get enough for two out of that :whistle::sneaky::rofl:

Reactions: Bam
Same as you Bam......I do enjoy knocking up a meal....especially a nice stew on a cold day....cant beat it :)

Look forward to seeing your Zebra Pot stew.......should get enough for two out of that :whistle::sneaky::rofl:

Scran for two was my thinking with the 14cm pot, more often than not I'm away with Smurf and we split the meals (when he minds the breakfast....) so reckon it will be a good size. If not, I'll have to go for the 16cm pot. :)

If I were going out regularly for overnighters, I would do the same and cook from scratch, it's half the fun to be honest and for my first night camping I do. For the remaining nights it's a dfferent story. I like making up some dehydrated meals, but also want a choice as well and there is no way on God's green earth I consider shopping while away on my own.(A daily jaunt with Bam for his vino collapso is a whole other matter :lol: )

Yea I'll probably do the same mate

Been on the look-out for some ambient store meals to take camping and apart from some truly awful things from various supermarkets the only ones half decent are some from M&S for £2.50. There are only 4 flavours though, and they are a bit small for a full meal (brilliant to take to work for lunch if you have access to a microwave though)
Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago, while at work one of the residents had a box of stuff delivered from this company. I asked what they were like and the couple said they were very nice, handy to have when they didn't feel like cooking.

So I had a look and I contacted the company to ask if the meals could be used for camping purposes and had a very nice reply

Good morning,

I came accross your website whilst searching for ambient store food to take camping. I would like to know if the soup and stew type meals can be decanted from their containers and heated in a saucepan. Your meals would solve a lot challenges whilst camping if this is the case. I look forward to your reply.

Many thanks in advance,

Ann
ie

Response.

Dear Annie,

Thank you for your question and for getting in touch with us, happy to see you came across ourselves.

From a business perspective we only advise heating them in an oven/microwave as these are the 'tried and tested' method's we've worked with when producing them.

However saying that, all of what we send you is cooked and edible cold if you wanted to. So on this basis we have a lot of customer's that do this to heat the meals when they're away camping etc and they don't have any problems.

The reason being is they're already cooked when you receive them, so actually all you're doing is heating them up for improved flavor.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Andy at Parsley Box
Customer Support

So I've gone ahead and ordered a few things. Will report back when I've tried them. The thing that I did see is they do a large size in some of the meals for you lads with a healthy appetite.

@gavin these for Scotland trip

Back