• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Backpack comparison - please advise

OrtesPL

Quite Talkative
Hi!
I'm thinking about a new backpack for 2018. Priority is a comfort and durability.
My budget is up to around £40-£50 and I'm aiming at 65L so i can pack everything inside for around 3 days.

I'm considering packs listed below, however any tups/advises are more than welcome!

1. Bobcat - Karrimor
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-bobcat-65-rucksack-793000

2. Leopard - Karrimor
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-leopard-65-rucksack-793021?colcode=79302169

3. Panther - Karrimor
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrim...Bvmfs2YK3K2QVV5oi-hYP3sZejuNxU-IaAlEKEALw_wcB

4. High 70L backpack - mountain warehouse
://www.mountainwarehouse.com/high-70l-backpack-p14086.aspx/Khaki/?utm_source=LS&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=15_2014&ranMID=38135&ranEAID=pfxNKSnglIM&ranSiteID=pfxNKSnglIM-7w60nvkcYhJb2R065zk8vg&siteID=pfxNKSnglIM-7w60nvkcYhJb2R065zk8vg

Sorry for long links :/

Before buying one I'd try and try it on for size, preferably packed with some weight in it. Go to a shop and see what fits you comfortably.

Gonoutdoors own brand stuff is good quality and well priced as is a lot of the decathlon stuff.

Karrimor quality has dipped since sports direct purchased them; I wouldn't buy another karrimor item having had boots fall apart on me after relatively little use.

If you're buying untried then I'd look at the bay of e for a second hand bargain, I've purchased packs that way for work and am happy with the deals I got.

I have the karrimor bobcat in green. And it works well for me. For weight ( At a ruff guess ) the maximum iv had in it was about 30kg...no problems. Personally think it could handle more.

Before buying one I'd try and try it on for size, preferably packed with some weight in it. Go to a shop and see what fits you comfortably.

Gonoutdoors own brand stuff is good quality and well priced as is a lot of the decathlon stuff.

Karrimor quality has dipped since sports direct purchased them; I wouldn't buy another karrimor item having had boots fall apart on me after relatively little use.

If you're buying untried then I'd look at the bay of e for a second hand bargain, I've purchased packs that way for work and am happy with the deals I got.

Do you. Mean quechua brand or go outdoors in general?

Looks good but I'd still see if you can try it on; go outdoors staff are generally users of the kit they sell and will put weight in it for you to try.

Prob a little bit bigger than you require but the price you quoted have a look at 120ltr mod bergans, make sure you get the side pouches as this can double up as a day sack with the yoke. If you think its to big just don't pack it with gear you will never use

MOD bergans are designed and built for a purpose; they are heavy and robust and give huge carrying capacity but they have simple back systems and poor hip belts which make them easy to overload and potentially uncomfortable with the excessive weight on your shoulders not hips.

They are designed to be used with webbing which does transfer some of the weight to the users hips but I'm assuming/hoping that no one is wearing webbing!

Unless you are going for a long long time in winter they are probably too big for bushcraft purposes.

A 65 litre civi pack should be big enough, will be lighter and more comfortable.

MOD bergans are designed and built for a purpose; they are heavy and robust and give huge carrying capacity but they have simple back systems and poor hip belts which make them easy to overload and potentially uncomfortable with the excessive weight on your shoulders not hips.

They are designed to be used with webbing which does transfer some of the weight to the users hips but I'm assuming/hoping that no one is wearing webbing!

Unless you are going for a long long time in winter they are probably too big for bushcraft purposes.

A 65 litre civi pack should be big enough, will be lighter and more comfortable.

Really don't know who issued yours then ;) I used when serving and still use to date , webbing never worn that, well that was issued to grunts lol , for the price mentioned why buy a shed when you can have a palace

I've still got mine; as an infantry officer or grunt it has been a close aquaintance for a long time and it is fit for purpose. For civi tasks it doesn't compare with civi packs. At 100-120 litres it swallows everything but is very heavy once it has!!

If you've already got one and want to use it that's a personal choice, I've got both a bergan and civi rucksacks and I know which is more comfortable to carry...

I've still got mine; as an infantry officer or grunt it has been a close aquaintance for a long time and it is fit for purpose. For civi tasks it doesn't compare with civi packs. At 100-120 litres it swallows everything but is very heavy once it has!!

If you've already got one and want to use it that's a personal choice, I've got both a bergan and civi rucksacks and I know which is more comfortable to carry...

Like you said personal choice

Was considering this one as well but...
They are all above 2kg packs and DD is definitely too small.
I think I'll go for OEX vallo once I'll try it or old Karrimor Independence (depending on weight).
It will be my third pack so I'm a bit fussy. :)

Fair play to you mate.....whatever you choose I hope it serves you well :thumbsup:
Let us know the outcome:)

Now I'm considering berghaus Ridgeway or trailead from EBay.
I'll be hunting!

If you can up your budget, i'd recommend a Osprey pack, they come in different sizes for your back length, in the larger sized packs.

Your best off trying a few on, to see which fits the best.

All of the big brand manufacturers will provide a decent pack; karrimor quality has dropped off but if you're buying an older pack off the bay then an older pack will be fine.

Of the non big brand Quechua and OEX (go outdoors) get good reviews; I use a gelert pack for work and am very impressed with its features and quality.

If you can try them on all the better bit if not check back length and sizing to get as close a fit as you can.

Hi!
I'm thinking about a new backpack for 2018. Priority is a comfort and durability.
My budget is up to around £40-£50 and I'm aiming at 65L so i can pack everything inside for around 3 days.

I'm considering packs listed below, however any tups/advises are more than welcome!

1. Bobcat - Karrimor
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-bobcat-65-rucksack-793000

2. Leopard - Karrimor
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-leopard-65-rucksack-793021?colcode=79302169

3. Panther - Karrimor
https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrim...Bvmfs2YK3K2QVV5oi-hYP3sZejuNxU-IaAlEKEALw_wcB

4. High 70L backpack - mountain warehouse
://www.mountainwarehouse.com/high-70l-backpack-p14086.aspx/Khaki/?utm_source=LS&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=15_2014&ranMID=38135&ranEAID=pfxNKSnglIM&ranSiteID=pfxNKSnglIM-7w60nvkcYhJb2R065zk8vg&siteID=pfxNKSnglIM-7w60nvkcYhJb2R065zk8vg

Sorry for long links :/
Just don't buy anything from Sports Direct............................:eek:

My Alice pack was or is about £40 and 60 odd litres. A bit low tech for some though? But so am I.... lol!

Back