• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bee keeping.

Ystranc

Some of you may already know that I keep bees, I was out in my shed messing about with my air pistol re doing the latest target competition when I heard the sound of a swarm. I ran out to check on my hives, they were all calm and going about their business as usual so the swarm must have come from elsewhere. To cut a long story short I got them strait into a hive with a perfect natural capture and I have a new colony. This is only the second time I've captured a swarm where it has gone strait into the hive, usually there is a great deal of messing about climbing trees or cutting your way into hedges. This must have been my lucky day.

Ystranc

I don't actually need to do it more than once a year, I tend to be very hands off with my bees. What I do is add another super (box for honey storage) beneath the full one in a process called nadiring. The bees set to work in the new space and are discouraged from returning to the full box by a clearing board placed beneath it but above where they're now busy.......after a couple of days I can remove the full super and spin out the raw honey.

Ystranc

Lol Bill, yes I was buzzing for a little while...Mark, I used to sell it through the shop which my other half ran in Hay on Wye but since we gave the shop up its mainly used at home or sold to visitors through the rental cottage. The going rate around here is around £5.50 per Lb.
It's a side of the smallholding that I intent to build up a little.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Lol Bill, yes I was buzzing for a little while...Mark, I used to sell it through the shop which my other half ran in Hay on Wye but since we gave the shop up its mainly used at home or sold to visitors through the rental cottage. The going rate around here is around £5.50 per Lb.
It's a side of the smallholding that I intent to build up a little.

Fair price mate:thumbsup: