• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Best type of tinned tuna for medium/long term storage

OwlHoot

Slightly Talkative
Having started prepping, in a fairly modest way, one aspect is to squirrel away a few months' supply of tinned tuna for protein (unless anyone can suggest a better alternative).

But of the three kinds, tuna in fresh water, in brine, or in sunflower oil, I'm wondering what the best choice is likely to maximise shelf life, without spoiling the contents.

Brine might be useful as a source of dietary salt, but I suspect it might be the worst for tin corrosion over time. Also, although sunflower oil is my preferred choice taste-wise, I wonder if the oil might not turn rancid and inedible (or even toxic) after a couple of years.

And, yes, I know any tinned tuna has a finite shelf life of a year or two. So I would be cycling the tuna stash prior to any SHTF event!

Any ideas welcome ;)

I generally buy it in water but I've read on more than a few survivalist sites that oil is best.

Personally I prefer my tinned tuna in spring water but there are extra calories in the tinned tuna in oil that may be useful or the oil could help if you were using the tinned tuna while cooking in the field.
In the end it's a personal preference, just be sure to select cans with a long use by date and use them up by rotating out old stock and renewing it when you shop.
I've not seen you before so I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum :)

Many thanks for the prompt replies already, and yes I'm a newbie here but will probably be posting every now and then.

Glad the consensus so far seems to be tuna in sunflower oil because, as I mentioned, that happens to be my favourite anyway.

Back