• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Budget Tripod

speider

Slightly Talkative
I have been after a tripod for my fire for a while and, working in the environment that I do (tool and plant hire), I hate to pay for something if I can make it. So I set about thinking of what we might have in the scrap pile that I could use.

The scrap pile didn't turn up anything of interest for this project but on the shop floor I came across these....

IMG_0636.jpg

If you're not familiar, they are pigtail pins used on building sites and around shows for temporary fencing. They weren't free but only cost me something like 60p each. I bought 3 and had a faff with them to see if they would lock together and keep stable but no joy. So after pondering for a wee while I remembered something that I did see in the scrap pile.

IMG_0641.jpg

If you're having a new door or a window put in, these are what holds your house up but sometimes the chain breaks and they need replacing. The big loop was ideal though.

Now, the game was afoot!

I took a saw and a drill and with them cut off two of the three hooks and made a hole wide enough to feed the loop through. I sanded the burrs then passed it on to a friend who can weld. As I had to cut the loop to get it through the pins, it wasn't as stable as I would have liked so he put a bit of weld on it again to make it solid again.

IMG_0639.jpg

Ta daa! With the legs set up the last hook makes an excellent... uh... hook for hanging a chain and a s hook over the fire. All for a measly few quid!

IMG_0648.jpg

...Blinkin photos have gone batty again! Grr, rant etc...

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 114
Hi Speider.

Nice project mate, and it does the job nicely.
Wouldn't want to carry it very far though :D

Nah, it's purely a base camp / scouts thing. I'm looking at a mk2 with the colapsable type porch poles.

Back