• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Carbon or Stainless, Convex or Scandi grind?

lee

Slightly Obsessed
I was wondering what members preferences are in their blades?

I only use full convex and 440c, T6Mov and N695 stainless, my next purchase will be something in 3v.

I find the full convex grind is a good all round knife maybe because I tend to do more food/game prep than woodwork. I do find my large convex blades baton and split wood well.

I gave up the rust battle with carbon blades years ago when I realised I would not win lol.

I prefer a scandi for general bushy stuff, as its the best grind for working with wood. But if woodwork wasn't on the agenda, a fine convex would be my first choice. I use an axe to split with, battoning is not something i do. Only the really fine stuff for fine kindling do i use the knife on.

I'd advise you try an RWL-34 blade Lee. Or Elmax if you want real top end stuff.

Last edited:
I use to split fire wood with an axe but I mainly baton now, I find it more controlled safer and somewhat relaxing.

I like using the axe... far more satisfying :), though it does require a lot more practice to be proficient at it. Quicker too.

I use both Carbon and Stainless. I also use both Convex and Scandi grinds. Both have their pro's and con's. I do tend to find that convex seems to work better on a Stainless style of knife than it does on a carbon though. That may be a characteristic of the alloy / steel though (more wear resistance and higher rockwell hardness) pretty much all of my woodcarving tools are of a scandi style grind. They are easier to control and to teach with.

General woodsman style tools (multi purpose, game prep and splitting) I tend to use a convex grind, it's more utilitarian and a more robust edge.

I don't find maintaining the edge very difficult on any of my knives. I have a number of Stainless knives in many materials, some are flat ground (Gene Ingram #30 & modified #6), some have convex grinds (Custom Fallkniven's F1, S1, WM1, A1 and a Benchmade BM210) and a number of Scandi Grinds (HillBill Mora Classic, a Guy Stainthorp based on the BM210 and a Custom made Grohmann / Russell knife). What I would say is that each metal has a slightly different characteristic when sharpening for instance 12C27 and RWL 34 are almost the same to sharpen except for the amount of time as RWL34 will take a little longer.

As to splitting tools, for choice I am with HillBill on this, I find using an axe a very rewarding and therapeutic experience.

Back