• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Cb Radio As A Viable Shtf Com.

V8interceptor

Slightly Talkative
Hello members,
Sorry have had a bit of time off here,
Back now and have invested in a CB !
For some reason the other forums hummed and hared about these things being Shite basically ....but having had them before , many mobile rigs and handsets too, So I thought I'd get one for the car/ house and poss another for ....well ..somewhere else !! The way I see it its better than sweet FA and why IMO would you want to pass a bloody test to do a Ham radio is beyond me !?
Preppers who think of getting a CB seem to be bombarded from others in forums saying " oh there's no one on them ...you can't talk with anyone ..so why bother " etc ...the reason I think is people / prepper and the Sheeple have super tech mobile phones they have a perfect communication device..BUT for the old CB well...there isn't any one on them that much ..cos it was a craze in the early 80s and almost a fashion...every kid on our council estate over the age of 12 seemed to have one ..everyone talking over the top of each other and not getting outta the village signal wise !! Probably counting 9 in our street off memory !! Mental..but fun ...
Anyway back to the Bad times ahead ...when the phones go down..networks switched off ..and Ham sets taken off people ( maybe ?? After all its a licence of sorts !! ) C B is Easy to set up and use ..even if we don't get to the confiscation of Hamm's stage ..its still a viable comm and I'm telling you all now its coming back !! Maybe not as big as vinyl records ..but Quote ME when I say ...buy a one now at a bootsale or a dealer ...learn how to use it and either store it or use it ...Yes the Airwaves are a hell of a lot quieter... But ..the day after tomorrow ..next year..next month ..who knows ?!?! Cheap as chips on Gumtree and freeads etc ....definitely think about it as a prep ..CB RADIO will be BACK !

Interceptor, I was under the impression that you used to have to go to the Post Office for a C.B. license, then they withdrew it back to some office in the Home Office, as there wasn't enough demand to be worth subcontracting (I.E.paying) to the Post Offices.

i have both a cb radio and a HF set ....i passed my ham test 15 yrs ago :)...always knew at some point in my life it would come in handy :cool:

No reason why you cant still use CB for close range comms.Ive still got two CBs..fm(used to have am with ssb) .Most CB get used on farms now if at all..its been years since i used one on the road in my truck but they do get used .
Im looking at getting some pmr446 radios.Theyre about the same price as CB and better local range and no license reqd same as CB.Either way theyre great cheap comms for small parties or between close travelling vehicles.

I tend to agree the popularity will return.CB is being used in shelter care homes in the US for residents to keep in touch so i guess when people start applying some lateral thinking and using them in more useful settings than just babbling crap like they used to on them years ago theyll 'maybe' become popular and price will go up.
Comms systems are always useful /essential, doesnt matter what they are and if there was suddenly no cellphones or internet youre sure going to wish youd picked up a couple of dirt cheap radios when you had the chance.

I haven't bothered with radios for post SHTF, apart from a hand cranked one and an old mains one I got at a garage sale, just for listening in. I did at one point consider walkie talkies but I couldn't really justify the expense for something that would just get chucked in a drawer until the balloon went up.
I never could understand who I was supposed to be communicating with post event.

Well im not terribly interested in communicating with the outside world if the shtf.Personally i see it as potentially a problem of attracting people to your location you may not be too overjoyed to see.

Im more interested in the ability to keep in touch with your partner or whoever you may be bugged out with.
A scanner is a useful tool too.You are best to prioritise what you WILL need rather than MIGHT need.I just like to have a few other options available to me even if i may not use them.

My handle used to be the picked gherkin and I still have a 150 watt burner stashed away somewhere

What about VHF?

Maria , you may want to explain the difference and advantages/disadvantages. Not every one here is a fan of Radio for comms ( fine ) or that experienced.

I've done some basic radio hamming but must admit i'm more than rusty regarding VHF.

A big problem with VHF is that it's pretty much line of sight. Great on the ocean but almost useless in my hills and valleys.

probably not much use in the North Devon hills and deep valley's either then.

i don't see much point in communicating with the outside world post SHTF, i'll be hunkering down and keeping shtum.
monitoring the radio is one thing but actually transmitting for everyone to locate us? no way Jose.

Another problem with VHF marine band. The world and his Auntie have got RDF sets for navigation...fine if you're highly mobile but not great if you're static and wanting to stay hidden.

RDF? isn't that how they track your location? not good if one wants to remain hidden.

This brings back memories of when we owned a boat and OH and l did various VHF courses. We did more listening than using and it used to amaze me how many people would be calling up the coastguard for a weather forecast. Didn't they know about the shipping forecast? Just another example of lack of preparation.

just look at how many go to see not properly prepared and have to call on the coastguard when they get into trouble, happens all the time off the Devon coasts.
and not just at sea, people are ill prepared and badly dressed (strappy tops and flip flops sometimes) and go wandering off on Dartmoor and they have to call in the rescue teams to find them, helicopters too sometimes.

Back