• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Dartmoor

Manthing

Administrator
Staff member
Am I right in thinking the appeal has been won and wild camping is back on, on Dartmoor?
Saw an article but it was being a pay wall...

Was this in the Cof A or The SC.
Did the judge give an opening to appeal up?
Do we think it will go to the ECRH? He's probably got the coin for it.

Hopefully it will catch on the rest of the country too, wild camping allowed everywhere, with restrictions and hefty fines for those wildcampers that destroy the areas and don't deserve to use the title wildcamper.

Hopefully it will catch on the rest of the country too, wild camping allowed everywhere, with restrictions and hefty fines for those wildcampers that destroy the areas and don't deserve to use the title wildcamper.
Dartmoor is probably a one off. I’m not sure that the great British public is ready for Allemansrätten yet. Respect for nature and other peoples enjoyment of wild places needs to be part of the national psyche as it is in Sweden before that kind of freedom could be enjoyed in the UK, compounded by the fact that we have much higher population density which places far more strain on beauty spots that get a lot of visitors.
Even though the Darwalls are fundamentally unlikable I can understand why they wanted to have some control over the land that they own, I just think they went about it in the wrong way.

Sorry could not disagree more, in fact, absolutely ridiculous……Sorry.

I rent a small area of ground for camping and associated stuff with my family, in the Dartmoor National Park, so in a way, it’s mine. If I turned up and somebody had decided to camp there…….They would be moved! Right to Roam or not.

I just don’t understand why people should think they have the right to roam and camp wherever they want, how would you feel if I set up camp in your garden?

There is ample Wildcamping on Dartmoor, but if you have seen what I have seen, you would ban people all together! Sadly, the genuine, leave no trace, Wildcamper, is a rare animal…….Sadly.

Sorry, but I have lived it as a career, I have seen what people do. ☹️

Areas of Scotland had to have a rethink.

Last edited:
Sorry could not disagree more, in fact, absolutely ridiculous……Sorry.

I rent a small area of ground for camping and associated stuff with my family, in the Dartmoor National Park, so in a way, it’s mine. If I turned up and somebody had decided to camp there…….They would be moved! Right to Roam or not.

I just don’t understand why people should think they have the right to roam and camp wherever they want, how would you feel if I set up camp in your garden?

There is ample Wildcamping on Dartmoor, but if you have seen what I have seen, you would ban people all together! Sadly, the genuine, leave no trace, Wildcamper, is a rare animal…….Sadly.

Sorry, but I have lived it as a career, I have seen what people do. ☹️

Areas of Scotland had to have a rethink.

It could work, its lack of education and management.They need to employ rangers, people who watch the wild areas, it could work, and would create more employment, get people in the outdoors.

I fully understand your point of view, @Big Red, and have seen it myself. But if everyone is denied access to the outdoors, and isn't taught how to respect nature, then bushcraft dies with us, our generation.

I would guess, that most people who practice Bushcraft in England and Wales, do so on private permissions. The banning people comment, was just a throw away, but the Rangers on Dartmoor, three are good friends of mine, have to wear body cams due to the threats and abuse they have to put up with…….What a country we are turning into! ☹️

You said “they” need to employ Rangers. Who is they?

Just to clarify, you said wild camping should be allowed “everywhere” Would that include private Farm Land, Estates, gardens etc. As I stated, I have a private permission, it would not be advisable for someone to camp there without my permission, the first would be a firm, but polite request to leave! After that……..🤷. Not that I would give it due to social media, and creating a precedent. You would be inundated with people wanting to camp.

Wildcamping everywhere, and the Right to Roam……..Not for me! Look at certain areas in Scotland.

Sorry, not for me. Dartmoor 😡. Makes my blood boil!
IMG_1309.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg
IMG_1307.jpeg

The good old for the people Labour Party have half a mind,

but I digress.

They are wanting to expand the RtR in England so its virtually like Scotland. I did try and explain to my Labour Luvvie friend that open land in Scotland is something like 80% moor/forest/pond and 20% arable and England is pretty much the reverse of that situation. I asked her if she'd be happy with people "rambling" through the large manufacturing plants like car plants and power stations, "Well no obviously not", so why would you want people wondering through our food production facilities. "Erm, well, but ermm..."

@Big Red They being the government and everywhere being common land, Woodlands that allow so.
I'm not trying to rile you up, you are entitled to your point I was just making mine.

Not everyone who is respectful of nature, can get a permission, most of Carmarthenshire is inaccessible to the common bushcrafter. I'm currently contacting land owners to start a charity, something similar to the scouts, but for disadvantaged kids.
No one out of 60+ landowners that I have contacted so far will give permission. Having areas of land designated and monitored for wildcamping would be a good thing. Apologies if I got anyone's back up, was not my intent.

@Big Red They being the government and everywhere being common land, Woodlands that allow so.
I'm not trying to rile you up, you are entitled to your point I was just making mine.

Not everyone who is respectful of nature, can get a permission, most of Carmarthenshire is inaccessible to the common bushcrafter. I'm currently contacting land owners to start a charity, something similar to the scouts, but for disadvantaged kids.
No one out of 60+ landowners that I have contacted so far will give permission. Having areas of land designated and monitored for wildcamping would be a good thing. Apologies if I got anyone's back up, was not my intent.
A noble enterprise, good luck with finding a permission. I sincerely hope you do, don’t give up, there are like minded people out there.

I am certainly not against permitted land being designated for such things. But the Right to Roam anywhere…….Sorry, no.

Even Allemansrätten only applies to unenclosed spaces well away from habitation, cultivated land and wildlife reserves. Local councils have the right to close areas to the public (and even the landowner) without notice for a variety of reasons…rare birds nesting, rare wild flowers, insects etc…the area is closed off, what is more, the people respect it and abide by it. Ground fires are only permitted in very specific circumstances. Gathering fallen wood larger than twigs which can be broken up by hand is also unacceptable.
It’s a way of thinking that is pretty alien to many British, treating every plant and animal as precious. The flip side is that Allemansrätten allows for fishing and foraging in some places as long as it’s not for profit.

The terms “common land” and commoners rights are regularly mis used in the UK. Common land is usually privately owned but adjoining properties may have rights in common such as grazing a certain number of sheep or collecting fuel. Many of these commons were also relatively recently designated as open access (countryside rights of way act 2000) which is where the confusion sets in.

Last edited:
Iv'e been camping on Dartmoor since the age of 8 yrs , if it ruled in favor would it stop me NOPE. The rangers have no rights what so ever to detain you, so they call the police LOL if they turn up.

Back