• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

DD 3x3 or Basha.....I'm undesided!!!

jaffcat

Slightly Addicted
Guys,

my dilemma is I have both a basha and a 3x3 DD tarp, both very good......

Due to a upcoming house move I have to reduce alot of my kit down.........

Do I keep the DD or the basha?

Most of my camping is "stealth camping" so the basha (DPM) fits the bill perfectly, snug but does the job. Or do I sell the basha and keep the bigger better DD tarp...........Bigger and being a single colour makes it stand out alot more in the woods.

Your thoughts and comments please gents

Richard

Im in the same dilemma, I love my army DPM much thicker and better made i feel and it could be used a bivvy in an emergency only thing is that it just covers my dd hammock. it also matches my DPM Gortex bivvy bag and its good for stealth but hard to pack down small. . . .

If only it was a bit bigger. . .

I have resisted getting the 3x3mtr up to now. If i had to have only 1 it would be the Arny DPM.

P9250046.jpg

Attachments

• P9250046.jpg
    P9250046.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 763
Hi Rich.

Just my thoughts mate:rolleyes:.

Keep the DD 3x3.

More options for pitching, more cover/shelter.

If my DPM Basha fails me at the winter meet and the wind and rain get in i will be getting a 3x3, so far the DPM has been fine but i have always had some cover in due to the type of woodland ive been in, the winter meet location of open moor/light wood will be the true test. . .

I am another one that says keep the DD. The space and weight make them very packable and usable.

Thanks for the input guys..... your right saying the DD gives more cover, but its the stealth aspect that I find essential. Lee how long you been using you Basha????
Bill I know you have both so I do take on your comments, thank you mate.

Any other thoughts or comments??????

Richard

a good 5 years, its the only tarp ive got, i was considering getting the 3x3 as its bigger but having had a close look at a friends i dont rate it in the same league as the DPM if only the DPM was bigger. If you can suffer the smaller size and packing down bigger and like the stealth like i do keep the dpm, i was so close to getting 3x3 but i knew the DPM would have to go as i cannot have both and i cant part with the DPM.

I have managed so far with the DPM.

I know the DPM makes a better tent style shelter with poles. and is a lot thicker if you need to make a bivvy with it.

If you only need a tarp for hammocking and nothing else keep the DD.

Lee have you had any problems with leaks on your basha.......... I had to reseal one small part of mine..seen another video on ytube where a guy had the same problem.... leak where the grab handles are in the middle seam........

Thing is I always have a US GI poncho with me DPMish, that I use as side protection in heavy wind/rain. Or as a separate cover for a cook area if needed..... Leaning away from the DD to be honest..................

never had any leaks and i have been out in some real downpoors some say to pitch it with seam on the outside but i never have,

Hi Rich.

" Any other thoughts or comments "

See your point mate, re the stealth aspect.

Even with the DPM, there will be certain situations where you will have to use/add natural material to blend your shelter into your surroundings.

You could reduce your shape and silhouette (Spelling:eek:) by pitching the tarp/basha in a lower configuration, again making use of natural materials to blend and break up the outline.

Always a trade off.

Hang on to both mate........use your stealth to get rid of some of the wife's handbags instead;):D

Hi Rich.

" Any other thoughts or comments "

See your point mate, re the stealth aspect.

Even with the DPM, there will be certain situations where you will have to use/add natural material to blend your shelter into your surroundings.

You could reduce your shape and silhouette (Spelling:eek:) by pitching the tarp/basha in a lower configuration, again making use of natural materials to blend and break up the outline.

Always a trade off.

Hang on to both mate........use your stealth to get rid of some of the wife's handbags instead;):D

I agree a 3x3 dd tarp is taking up little space.

i'd keep the 3x3 mate, 99% of my camping is stealth too, ive never had any problems with the DD, just use some natural foliage to cover it. the diversity of pitches you have with a square tarp in comparison to one thats rectangular is handy too.

Thanks for the input guys..... your right saying the DD gives more cover, but its the stealth aspect that I find essential. Richard

DPM doesn't mean a lot when it comes to stealth to be honest, once upon a time it was because the of the pattern and it's irregularity. However the dpm pattern is now so common that the human eye will recognise it as easily as a flat green sheet. Stealth has nothing to do with colour as to situation.

Bearing in mind that "stealth camping" without the landowners permission is against the law. From my perspective and purely hypothetically of course, the height and where you site the tarp are more important. The distance in from the edge of a wood or coppice would be a factor as would the density of the wood. Natural shadow also makes it harder to see and of course setting the tarp up at a slightly lower height helps as well. Think about wind direction in relation to tracks when you set up so that anyone looking in is going to to be looking at the end of your setup rather than the side.

If using a hammock use slightly wider straps so they leave less of a mark on the tree and always try to leave things looking exactly as they were when you got there.

Use the above set of rules and my old OG Jungle lightweight is as effective as any of the Dancam, Auscam or normal dpm basha's that I have used and can readily be applied to the use of a DD tarp with the same effect.

Some good points being made here..thanks chaps.......

I have accumulated a fair bit of kit, so I'm thinking of having a small day kit in the car, with the basha as a tarp and kitted for the odd over night and keeping the main DD tarp in my bigger pack which would be my goto bag for longer/winter trips..........

That just leaves my with the mini tarp to get rid of...........if anybody is interested lol

Some good points being made here..thanks chaps....... I have accumulated a fair bit of kit, so I'm thinking of having a small day kit in the car, with the basha as a tarp and kitted for the odd over night and keeping the main DD tarp in my bigger pack which would be my goto bag for longer/winter trips.......... That just leaves my with the mini tarp to get rid of...........if anybody is interested lol
when you say mini what size is it, its not you dpm ?

Back