• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

DE Razor Merkur Travel Razor 933CL

honeymonster

Slightly Talkative
I don;t know about the rest of you but I got fed up with these stupid and very expensive Cartridge type razors
so last year I made the switch to DE razors
You know the old fashion ones before the fancy stuff for quick and easy became all the rage
I must say I get a much better shave with a DE
For Travel I picked up a Merkur Travel Razor 933CL which comes in a small pouch and 3 pieces
What a great piece of kit it is for going away
Now I can't say I have used it bush style because I haven't but it's small lightweight and tough as old boots so should stand up in the field
I picked up a reasonable priced Edwin Jagger travel shaving brush to go with it
The Brush tucks away in an Alloy Casing. Screws the brush into the casing to make the handle when you want to use it. I opted for a synthetic version simply as it doesn't need as much care drying out
I got most of my shaving stuff from the Plymouth Based Shaving shack
Buy Shaving Brushes, Shaving Creams & Razors | Mens Grooming Products | The Shaving Shack
A few bits I got from
Men's shaving and grooming - The Traditional Shaving Company
Now the subject is not strictly bushcraft but some of you might still want a decent shave in the wilds or away on a trip or trek etc

thanks for the links mate, i've been wanting to get a D/E for a while. i love traditional shaves, they're so much better. every time i get my barnet cut i get a wet shave. how long did it take you to get the technique right? i've heard its best to practice on a balloon?

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but I got a Merkur 33C a few months ago. After a few nicks here and there, it leaves my face with no red patches or ingrown hairs, which I always got with 3 blade disposables.

I use Feather blades, which seem the smoothest, and a good shave creme.

I'll never go back to the multiblade razors.

I was going to get a Merkur for home use but got an Edwin Jagger DE89L as it was a good price and had good reviews and not let me down.
Yes I have nicked myself probably twice but the main secret is not to force the razor, let the weight of the razor do the work
There is a lot of help and advise on the shaving shack web site and they are on facebook as well
I also found an American site pretty good for video's and they on Utube and facebook
Shave Nation
Shave Nation - Shaving Supplies
They have a beginners corner with useful video's
I didn't try a Baloon I just dived right in and went for it
I have so far used the Derby Blades or the Feather blades as mention . not too aggressive for a beginner but seems to suit my face anyway so stick with what seems to work
There are open combs and closed combes I have a closed as not quite as agressive
I am no expert in this matter tho just what I have found
I have used the Merkur travel for weekends away but not yet used it outdoors but will do so when I can't get outdoors in the future
The other thing I like about these razors apart from the cost of the blades is the razor lasts for years
the sort of thing you can hand on to your kids and grand kids if you so wished
Ok you have the set up price of getting the gear but a half decent kit will last years and soon out strip the cost of thos nasty cartridge ones which tend to razor burn and ingrow hairs etc

I shave with a DE - used to shave with a straight razor but with kiddies running about the place its frankly too dangerous to have one in the bathroom. Initially I went to a cartridge (Mach 3 etc) but the cost is insane!

DE is the perfect balance - cuts closer than a cartridge but at a fraction of the cost (an 8 pack of Mach 3 is £13.50 - whereas 10 feather blades is about £3!)

My razor itself is a cheap as cheaps Wilkinson Sword plastic handled jobby from Boots and that together with 5 blades was about £4!

I am on the lookout for a nice old Gillette DE razor - hunting junk shops, charity shops and house clearance shops etc but most throw them away as they worry about the whole hygene/personal use aspect. understandable if completely wrong sadly.

But we should all switch - a closed comb is only a smidge closer than a cartridge you are all used to.

oh and you dont need to practice - how did I practice a cut throat? on my throat :)
I am still here guys!

Here you see the perfect hiking razor!

Orange, to find it in the green gras or in white snow.

Sharp, to hold you in good conditions.

Light, to carry it comfortable in the rucksack. It weights only 4 g!

British, to support lokal industry.

It's a Wilkinson!

And you can get it in every supermarket!

WP_20180124_23_06_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20180124_23_07_14_Pro.jpg

Yes, sorry, Sir!

I am reading through all this, what you all together wrote down in the last years.

And from time to time unfortunately I have to add some of this incredible important informations, the world was waiting for!

But as you see, slowly I arrive at the end - or beginning- of the kit chat.

I do not really expect that in the other chapters so much will be to comment.

Let's hope it!

;0)

Back