• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

FAIL TO PREPARE,PREPARE TO FAIL

prepper elite

Slightly Talkative
HI I LIVE IN THE NORTH DEVON,IVE BEEN A PREPPER MANY YEARS NOW,ROUGHLY 6YRS,ALWAYS UP FOR PREP CHATTER,I STARTED PREPPING WHEN MONEY WAS GETTING TIGHTER AND THE GOVERNMENTS SQUEEZE WAS GETTING STRONGER,I ALWAYS THOUGHT MY HOUSE IS MY CASTLE, ON WHICH IM DETERMINED TO PROTECT AND SURVIVE WHOTEVER GETS THROWN AT US,ID RATHER BE PREPARED THAN NOT,ANY QUESTIONS IM ALWAYS HAPPY TO ANSWER IF I CAN HELP,CHEERS ALL HOPE TO TALK SOON,

Nice to meet you elite, hope you don't mind my mentioning but that caps lock is a bit harsh on the old eyes :)

thanks matt,mud still a big issue for me at mo too,i wanna build some wooden raised garden beds,

Welcome PE...I'm also having issues with the mud Offgrid but I've turned it to my advantage today by planting 250 oak while the ground was soft.

I've been trying to plant some more willow since November but it's been too wet,went out yesterday and rolled out some membrane very difficult in the wind if I don't get them in the ground in the next week I will have lost a year's growth.

thanks ystranc ,that's some good going.i aint got any room for trees.good luck offgrid sounds like you got your hands full,

I've been trying to plant some more willow since November but it's been too wet,went out yesterday and rolled out some membrane very difficult in the wind if I don't get them in the ground in the next week I will have lost a year's growth.
Beware of that weed suppressant membrane, it is a haven for voles...they form a vole metropolis under it and eat away at the roots of your trees.

I've tested using the membrane or not and I'd rather not but it makes a real difference and saves spraying,I think the rough long grass in-between rows is always going to be good habitat for voles:(

Last edited:
True enough but I've just had to rip out a step over of apples because of voles...I'm probably a little too prejudiced against the membrane.

The first 2 or 3 years is the key with willow at least, the membrane keeps the soil moist in summer as well as weed suppression then it can be removed.

I put in a load of hybrid willow a few years back without membrane, I found that block planting them at 12-18 inches suppressed most of the grass between them by 3 years, just as you say OffGrid.
I now cut down half a dozen each month and drag them whole into the sheep paddocks as a winter tonic, they love stripping it. What is left over makes pretty decent fire wood. Once it's been barked it drys very quickly.

Hello and welcome @prepper elite :) On the subject of mud, I have put down old bits of carpet in gateways and along walkways when it gets really boggy and find this works a treat. Pull it back up when the weather gets better. It works even with horses plodding over it, which is when I discovered it's worth.

Back