• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

First Ham Antenna?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Right, I'm thinking that either my reception at the house is terrible or there's just nobody using the frequencies around here.
I can JUST hear the RSGB news and NET on a Sunday morning from one point in the garden but often only hear one side of the conversation.

So, I'm willing to spend a WEE bit of money on an antenna to see if I can at least receive/monitor the 70cm and 2m bands by connecting the antenna to my handheld. (UV-5RT (8 watt))
But not willing to splash out on a rig and build a shack (yet) as I'm honestly not sure I'd use it.

But what I need to know is:
If I bought this to install on my roof: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAHDL5K
1. Is it a good deal?
2. What connector do I need to buy to connect it to 50ohm coax? (the ad says its a MJ/NJ connector but most other ads say SO-239 or other)
3. Do I need a balun or antenna matching unit? or can I just buy something like this adapter and plug is straight into the radio? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PTFGPPB

Or, does this triband give any benefits if my wee radio only does VHF/UHF? It's a bit more expensive.

I'm aware of my foundation licence 10watt transmit limitation and the gain of the antennas before any 'sad hams' point it out :)

Hi Paul.

Just a thought me dear.......would you benefit and get more help from a dedicated forum......more chance of picking up some used bargains and advice solving your issues?

Found this one.....there are quite a few around........hope you get it all up and working soon mate :thumbsup:

Good luck........rubber duck 10/4 :D

Yes mate. I have registered on a couple of ham forums and asked the same question there.
This section is about comms though and I know that at least a few of us dabble to various extents. :)

Right, I'm thinking that either my reception at the house is terrible or there's just nobody using the frequencies around here.
I can JUST hear the RSGB news and NET on a Sunday morning from one point in the garden but often only hear one side of the conversation.

So, I'm willing to spend a WEE bit of money on an antenna to see if I can at least receive/monitor the 70cm and 2m bands by connecting the antenna to my handheld. (UV-5RT (8 watt))
But not willing to splash out on a rig and build a shack (yet) as I'm honestly not sure I'd use it.

But what I need to know is:
If I bought this to install on my roof: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAHDL5K
1. Is it a good deal?
2. What connector do I need to buy to connect it to 50ohm coax? (the ad says its a MJ/NJ connector but most other ads say SO-239 or other)
3. Do I need a balun or antenna matching unit? or can I just buy something like this adapter and plug is straight into the radio? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PTFGPPB

Or, does this triband give any benefits if my wee radio only does VHF/UHF? It's a bit more expensive.

I'm aware of my foundation licence 10watt transmit limitation and the gain of the antennas before any 'sad hams' point it out :)
yes the antenna from amazon will work great :) no you dont need an ATU to tune the antenna as its already pre tuned :thumbsup:

my advise is buy the antenna and then look at what plug it needs on the bottom ( normally N type socket on antenna ) then order the plug along with very good quality 50ohm coax ( RG8 MINI) or your best option is to call these guys Contact Details tell them the antenna you are using and the radio you want to connect to and they will make you a run of coax to your length requirements with the correct plugs/sockets ....

have a look on their web site they do duel band home base antennas a bit cheaper than amazon and also they do one with PL259 socket on the bottom so a bit cheaper on the plug front .,,,, maybe worth a call and try and get a deal

Last edited:
Thanks @Matt
For future proofing am I as well going for the option with the 6m band included? e.g. this one.
I assume other bits are required if fixing it to the apex of the roof?
In saying that, would it really make much difference it being on the facia or apex?

Honestly not sure whether I'd run the cable into the house or garage (or maybe a switch to have both options) so I'd probably just buy a full reel of coax.

Thanks @Matt
For future proofing am I as well going for the option with the 6m band included? e.g. this one.
I assume other bits are required if fixing it to the apex of the roof?
In saying that, would it really make much difference it being on the facia or apex?

Honestly not sure whether I'd run the cable into the house or garage (or maybe a switch to have both options) so I'd probably just buy a full reel of coax.
The 6mtr band is part of the HF frequency so unless you plan on buying a HF set i wouldnt bother with that antenna :thumbsup:

to mount the antenna you would need something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-Crank...&keywords=tv+pole+mast&qid=1655376642&sr=8-15

The higher you can get the antenna the better it will work. so apex or chimney would be best :thumbsup:

buying a full roll of coax is prob best idea but you need to buy the best quality as you are you,s in it for vhf/uhf (normal coax cheap stuff will be to lossy ) as in you would lose alot of your transmitted power and your receive signal would be down as well .

you would need to speak to the shop to make sure you get the correct plug for it to plug into your handheld radio ok ...

Thanks Matt.
I've asked the shop for advice on this too. I wondered about that antenna because it's only £17 dearer than the dual band one and might save me the upgrade later IF I was to consider HF comms.
This dual band one is the other option Sharmans X-50
I also now understand that the SO239 socket accepts the PL259 plug. That's not exactly clear anywhere for newbies!

Thanks Matt.
I've asked the shop for advice on this too. I wondered about that antenna because it's only £17 dearer than the dual band one and might save me the upgrade later IF I was to consider HF comms.
This dual band one is the other option Sharmans X-50
I also now understand that the SO239 socket accepts the PL259 plug. That's not exactly clear anywhere for newbies!
yes thats the antenna i would go with mate :thumbsup: you just need to get the correct plug for the connection to the radio ok :thumbsup:

o and also a soldering iron and some of this tape to water proof the plug Self-Amalgamating Rubber Tape Black 3m x 25mm

Right, about to hit the button. What do you think of this haul? @Matt
Going to have to bore a big enough hole in the blockwork garage to feed in the PL259 lead though.
cart.png

You could take the plug of and then re solder it back on after feeding coax through a smaller hole :whistle: :D... Looks like you got things covered mate

Last edited:
I've bought enough cable so that I can move it to the apex of the roof if I need to, but that's a bit more complicated to install so it's going on the facia initially since I can do that myself with the ladders.

M0KAV....

Sorry mate only just saw your post on here. Not much else to say that Matt hasn't covered. I have a similar set up on my colinear 2/70. To get height I have an aluminium scaffold pole with the antenna mounted at the top and on T and K wall brackets. Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers......Ell

Thanks Ell,
Heard a bit of SOTA transmission today on my handheld when my wife and I were out for a wee walk
He was transmitting from here (73km away) but I could only hear his side of the conversation.
That makes it a bit more interesting, I was wondering whether there was anyone out there at all!

heh, no, firstly someone at work has 'borrowed' one of the stages of my 3 stage ladders and secondly the shop sent me a coax cable with no connectors attached (I had ordered a pre-made one)
I do have a 3m cable and a long piece of wood so will be testing it out later but not at roof height.

Back