• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Galloway forest 16th-21st october 21

I look forward to the video, I thought I had decided on my winter tent purchase, but I'm being drawn to the hammock tent, best of both worlds?
do it !!!! what a fantastic set up :thumbsup: 100% recommend . handled the gale force winds and the torrential down pours with ease :cool:

A few pictures
IMG_20211016_100652.jpg
IMG_20211016_100633.jpg
IMG_20211016_100659.jpg
IMG_20211016_100706.jpg
IMG_20211016_100713.jpg
IMG_20211016_145700.jpg
IMG_20211016_213645.jpg
IMG_20211016_215119.jpg
IMG_20211017_120003.jpg

trip report :cool:

After all the stress at work with trying to sort the landrover for the trip we managed to get a new fuel pump in the twelfth hour so the trip was on :)

Friday night ....

headed to @gavin to pick him up around 11 pm to start the long drive north .... we stopped at a services and decided to brew up in the carpark as we refused to pay the prices they were asking for a coffee :rofl: .... As we were getting close to the border we found the M6 was closed :eek: the sat nav directed us of the motor way onto country roads which then said another 3hrs driving to reach the destination :(
we were not sure on the fuel situation so we stopped at a garage and brimmed the tank again with another £80 fuel (total for the trip so far was now £160 ) :thumbsup:

Driving the lanes in the dark was taking its toll on me and i was begging for it to start to get light :)

Saturday

Its early am 4 ish and thankfully the roads started to open out to dual carriageways think it was the a75 :) after a few more hrs of driving we ended up in a village called Dalmellington which as id been there before i knew very well we were close to the destination ... 20 ish miles of country roads and we were at the proposed camp area arrival time was around 6 am and it was getting light :)

so we had a quick brew and set about sorting a location to set up ....

we had a good look around and settled on a couple of fairly flat areas in the woodland :)

The new 1 tegris tents went up with out any issues and we were soon squared away and looking forward to a bite to eat and a snooze :cool:
breakfast was going to be a simple affair of fried eggs with "hogs " puddings sliced and fried :whistle: .. after closer inspection the hogs pudding were smelling rank :( :eek: so we distance tested them into the undergrowth :rofl: breakfast was now fried eggs with bacon grill (luckily i had a few tins as back up for breakfast ) And very tasty it was washed down with a nice mug of hot tea :cool: .... we decided to try and get out heads down for a few hrs... the stoves were lit and blazing away was nice to relax with the heat from the stove slowly cooking me alive :rofl:

Saturday was a bit of a blur as we spent a fair amount of time setting up and snoozing trying to catch up on the sleep lost on friday night .. we had a hearty tea of chicken in white wine sauce with mushrooms and peas and lashings of tea ... fat and full we decided to turn in early as the weather was getting a bit " wet and windy " :whistle: :rolleyes:

Sunday ....

Well what can i say :rofl: sunday early hrs the wind picked up and it felt like i had pitch my tent in an F1 wind tunnel and they turned it up to max :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: the tent /shelter held up to the winds and im very impressed and will never worry again about how well it would stand up to the weather :thumbsup:

mid afternoon and @G1ZmO turned up and started sorting out an area for his tepee tent (i had brought with me a log burner for him to use and keep for his tent ) after he was set up we all gathered in my shelter so i stoked up the log burner and we set about polishing of my bottle of dark matter liquor :) :) after a few hrs the guys wandered of to their own setups to get their heads down :)

then the F1 team decided to test the wind tunnel out again ... with out a second thought i got in my sleeping bag and slept like a baby not giving the wind and rain a second thought :cool:

monday ....

breakfast was eggs and bacon grill (again) :rofl: it was still very tasty and i then made a decision it was going to be my go to breakfast when im on trips away as i then have no need for fresh meat :thumbsup:

Dishes done and cleared away paul wandered up and we discussed the following evenings weather/wind and i also asked how he was getting on with the stove in his tent ... Bloody hot was his reply me and gav fell about laughing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

as with all these trips the days just merge in to 1 so here's where is all goes to pot with who what when and where :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anyways @Ark79 turned up at the site and brought goodies with him some fresh milk and some fresh square sausage hhmmmm :)

he had a brew with us and a yap and headed on his way :thumbsup:

we all decided to head out for a wander and stretch our legs and blow the cobwebs out of the system ... the trail we followed was stunning the woodland was bathed in sunlight and the moss had an almost effervescent glow in all shades of green :thumbsup: :)

Paul was packing up to go home for his grand daughters birthday on Wednesday and me and gav decided we would make tracks home on Wednesday instead of Thursday as we had family holidays to prepare for departing on Saturday :)

Wednesday early am (5ish)

we started packing away and getting the site cleared (leave no trace) by 7 am we were loaded in the landrover and were having the last brew made with Scottish swamp water :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
we went to Dalmellington and brimmed the landy again with fuel £40 (total for trip £200 ) and headed for home :)

got home around 4pm total miles covered 950 fuel costs £200 .... well worth the cost .. fantastic locations with great company (shame a few more couldn't make it ) :cool:

we will be back in January bring it on :)

pps im sure ive missed a few details out on the trip report and IM sure the other guys will fill you all in on what ive forgotten :) :rofl:

Sounds like a great trip, pity I couldn't make it, in going to watch the video tonight on the pc, thing is the hammock tent is cheaper than what I'm looking at, down side is is pack size and weight but, if its winter set up it'll be either car camping or arctic camping in which case it will be towed on pulk, I think I may have made my mind up 😜

Edit, did you see any snow, my source says they've just had the first snow on the Cairngorms

Terrific Matt.. I agree about the Motorway Services prices, robbery, unless there's a Greggs, at least their tea is cheaper.
Good to hear the tents weathered the storm too. :thumbsup:

What were the tracks to the camp site like Matt? Would the trip be do-able in a standard front wheel drive estate car at this time of year?

Sounds like a great trip, pity I couldn't make it, in going to watch the video tonight on the pc, thing is the hammock tent is cheaper than what I'm looking at, down side is is pack size and weight but, if its winter set up it'll be either car camping or arctic camping in which case it will be towed on pulk, I think I may have made my mind up 😜

Edit, did you see any snow, my source says they've just had the first snow on the Cairngorms
i watched the forecasted weather just before we headed in and i follow a forcaster on fb he predicted the snow but unfortunately for us it was for further north and greater Hight that we were :thumbsup: We will get our snow in Jan :cool:

Nice write up mate spot on.here are the pictures I took from the trip

20211016_143159.jpg

20211016_104047.jpg

20211016_171945.jpg
20211017_091643.jpg
20211017_142832.jpg
20211017_143709.jpg
20211017_143804.jpg
20211017_142859.jpg

Loads of these mushrooms popping up all over the place. I'm guessing the red ones are a no go if anybody knows let me know
20211017_150358.jpg

And here we have first night's tea
1x tin of chilli con carnie
1x tin of chicken casserole
1x tin of vegetable soup
Went down and out like a treat 😁
20211017_145946.jpg

Gizmos set up
20211016_142352.jpg
20211016_142359.jpg

This was our water source the picture underneath is me getting the water matt insisted he take a picture incase I fell in because he is nice like that....😉
20211016_142407.jpg
20211016_142409.jpg
20211016_142442.jpg

20211018_115749.jpg
20211018_122729.jpg

On our way back from a nice walking exploring the woodland on the other side of the river
20211018_115530.jpg
20211018_115535.jpg

Couple more pictures from the walk...
The next picture is one of my favourite from the meet it really shoes how roomy and hot these tents are.

20211018_184448.jpg
check out that flu glowing cherry.🤩
Big thanks to matt for making this trip happen for me forever grateful my friend
20211017_103716.jpg

From now on bacon grill will always be in my kit 😋 also a big massive thanks to @Ark79 for bringing the sausage to the party 🤣🤣... no it was an amazing last tea before the journey home the next day you cannie beat a bit (whole pack each) of Scottish Square sausage 😋 😀
20211019_155416.jpg

Had an amazing time counting down the days until January now for the next one. Get your names down guys

Attachments

• 20211017_150000.jpg
    20211017_150000.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 93
Back