• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Global warming.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
With flooding becoming more of a problem and more frequent.....sea levels rising I thought I would just check just how far above sea level our house is.....187ft apparently :)
Over the past couple of years we have had our sea defences strengthened and a kind of barrier system put in place along part of the sea front.....still ongoing around the back of the estuary.
Nothing on the scale of the Thames Barrier though :)......another cause for concern.
For people living in the low lands this increasing trend of more rain must be a real concern and worry šŸ¤”
I can see the defences being added further along our beachfront in the not too distant future.
Some of the high tides and storms years ago came a long way inland and flooded the town and beyond.

In the video a much lesser storm.....but still significant.......the houses and flats with the wall running along......all of those gateways and driveways have now had water barriers fitted......in the bigger storms the sea will still reach over. :(

What a legacy to leave for our grandchildren and great grandchildren. Not just global warming but a complete lack of common sense by people who should know better. Take the small town where I live, the council completely re routed the Red River to allow building companies to have land to erect more houses none of which first time buyers can afford As a consequence the road running past the bottom of my street floods and the water regularly comes within a hundred feet of my front door.
The brilliant idea of building on flood plains where some residents can no longer get housing insurance. Seen the news lately? 62 dead fire fighters in Algeria, 63 in California, Greek holiday resorts evacuated yet just a month ago half of Northern Europe was under feet of flood water and people were dying. What in the name of hell have we done to the world we live in? Well we have created a situation that will take centuries to put right if ever it can recover. Some corporations and individuals are more guilty than others but fellas we in our own way are equally guilty. Everytime we set of a firework for instance its a tiny insignificant bit of pollution released into the atmosphere, not much because its just one firework but times that by millions then add to those millions all the fireworks displays that have cost thousands........Rant over

An interesting but scary interactive map that shows the UK coastline at a variety of sea levels. The current prediction of a 2.5 meter sea level rise is at the conservative end of the scale and ignores the effects of extreme weather events, wind driven high tides or storm surges but what the heck, we can't go knocking confidence in the London property market, can we?
This is likely to happen in a timescale measured in hundreds of years however in the interim a lot of coastal towns will repeatedly battered and extreme weather events will hit with even greater frequency.

Another subject that has not really been addressed is the effect of reduction in salinity at differing depths of the sea although I'm sure there will soon be a rash of PhD papers. The oceans and seas are the lungs of the planet.

We are doomed I tell you, we are doomed. Joking aside those reports don't give a pretty picture and in the short term there's not a bloody thing we can do about it

We won't improve matters much for ourselves but if the human race will stop fouling its own nest right now then maybe future generations will benefit.

We won't improve matters much for ourselves but if the human race will stop fouling its own nest right now then maybe future generations will benefit.
That's what worries me Mike, the young kids of today just don't seem to care. Take any town center you care to name and on a Sunday morning it can be ankle deep in rubbish. Fine I know that has no direct bearing on global warming but it does give a good idea of the attitudes among the kids of today

Only some of the kids, not all of them. Most of the bad behaviour and littering can be directly linked to alcohol consumption. Some kids are very much more focused on the environment than they are on partying.

Only some of the kids, not all of them. Most of the bad behaviour and littering can be directly linked to alcohol consumption. Some kids are very much more focused on the environment than they are on partying.
Agreed

"The oceans and seas are the lungs of the planet." :thumbsup:

There was a report/survey a few years back now....that estimated the amount of sewage and other waste that was pouring into our seas by the day ( the list was long )......cant remember the figures now but do remember it was a truly shocking amount....tons and tons per minute.

"The oceans and seas are the lungs of the planet." :thumbsup:

There was a report/survey a few years back now....that estimated the amount of sewage and other waste that was pouring into our seas by the day ( the list was long )......cant remember the figures now but do remember it was a truly shocking amount....tons and tons per minute.
thats why i dont eat anything that comes out of the sea :ninja:

Back