• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Good intent...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Well, more like, out of Tent really...:D I found that after making an entrance cover for a Tarp Tent out of an old tent outer or fly sheet, I had a few large pieces of ultra light fabric left over. I have a shop bought garment called a Wind Shirt which I always carry in my Bergan, a handy bit of kit to put on if you are hot and steamy and have to stop moving for any reason and there is a chill breeze blowing.

I've often wished my wind shirt was slightly longer, rather than just below belt level, so......
None of my old off cuts were big enough alone, so I've had to join 2 sections together. The fly sheet had a taped seam, so I sewed the pieces along the taped seam

Pinned together ready to be joined together....Aahh!
DSCF6407.JPG

A brief but deadly struggle took place...Which I eventually won..
DSCF6410.JPG

DSCF6411.JPG

For a pattern I'm using a hooded jacket made for me by my late wife back in the 1960's, long before the word Hoodie or the person who dreamt it up was heard of...:lol:
DSCF6408.JPG

I won't include the hood, I'm not keen on light flappy hoods, heavy like the pattern jacket is ok but not in tent nylon, and I will make the body much longer. Out with the Tailor's Chalk...
DSCF6413.JPG

I've made a start...I know the sleeves really should be cut separately and "Set in" I watched a highly skilled professional do it for nearly 40 years, she could set in sleeves in the blink of an eye...I bottled out and went for the Mountain Man Buckskin method....:lol:

DSCF6414.JPG

More tales of the Tape Measure later.....:rofl:

“A brief but deadly struggle“ 😂

The shirt is looking good sax 👍🏻 Are you putting draw strings on the bottom like the hoodie ?

Probably not Mark, I was thinking of leaving it fairly long, maybe just above mid thigh length, Hunting shirt style. So possibly a 'tunnel' with a drawstring in about waist level.

Might be a good idea to add a few hollow rivets under the arm pits each side Sax......might get a tad sweaty inside when the waist band is tightened?
Just a thought mate.....looking very good :thumbsup:

Is there anywhere where it is still possible to get those old style kagools that used to pack away into the pocket? The ones that used to make you sweat like you were in a sauna, one big front pocket, often in day glow orange....

The last time I saw anything like that, was in the small clothing department of a Garden Centre in Sussex which sold a variety of Regatta brand outdoor clothing. It was called a PacJac or something similar.

Having had a quick looksee, they still advertise a Pack away jacket, but not in the old over the head style which I too remember melting in....

Here you go;)

£20 seems reasonable....But Trespass !!..
mad0187.gif

Quite by chance I was in a Trespass shop yesterday....out in the street elastic on face mask suddenly gave way and I was stranded, and I needed to go into a food, shop so seeing a Trespass Shop across the street.." Face masks on sale" I dived in there...
Face masks, really quite wimpy manufactured things it transpired , were in a box up on a shelf...young lady climbs up, gets face mask..great I'm saved, I can get my shopping now...£7.99 !!! I could have declined but after her climbing antics I didn't have the heart, anyway she looked like just left school..first job youngster..

Beware the Virus money makers...

Anyway....
Finished the wind shirt. I decided not to fit a belt, rather preferring to simply wear a separate belt outside the shirt if required. Now just to explain, this shirt is really just for sitting, watching and listening, something I frequently do in the woods. I find that a walk warms me up usually and then after getting nicely settled in a good obs spot I feel the wind chill. Putting a fleece or something on is all very well but then after a while I want to take it off.

I'm sure everyone knows that after smell, movement is the biggest alarm causer amongst wildlife, so flapping about de-layering is counter productive. I didn't intend it to be all Bushcrafty for parading around a camp fire or posing in the woods, just find a sit spot, dump the Bergan, wind shirt on and sit still...

I learned a lot, quite apart from stoppage drills on the Singer..
happy0157.gif

I cut the neck hole far too wide when I started ( My Dress Making career at 76 years +)....
happy0040.gif

So I cut and sewed a couple of filling pieces to decrease the width of the opening. The V neck cut actually pulls together and can be closed with a button and loop fixing, when I find a suitable button...

DSCF6425.JPG

With a bit better planning I could have made the closure Tabs on the sleeve cuffs a different length which would have avoided using so much Velcro to close or simply stop the Tab flapping about..Hey! Ho! another lesson learned.
DSCF6424.JPG

Long enough to sit on the tail, loose enough to wear over warm kit, I haven't seam sealed the stitching but it's still probably shower proof at least, until I get round to sealing it. One advantage of it is that it doesn't 'Crackle' when i move. unlike my Poncho which I sometimes use against a chill breeze when sitting still.
DSCF6419.JPG

DSCF6420.JPG

DSCF6426.JPG

That's it...fits in the back pocket of my jeans too...

Orders for Wedding Dresses, Ball Gowns and Tu Tu's now being taken...
anim_61.gif

Attachments

• mad0187.gif
    mad0187.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 14
  • happy0157.gif
    happy0157.gif
    296 bytes · Views: 13
  • happy0040.gif
    happy0040.gif
    769 bytes · Views: 21
  • anim_61.gif