• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Growing the woodpile.

divebuddy

Staff member
Brought some logs back from Greenway. Split 5 of them today. 8 to split tomorrow.

IMG_20230207_165835.jpg
IMG_20230207_165805.jpg

Thats neat work. I’m guessing a fire makes a useful alternative to other heating fuels in these days of high energy prices.

What’s the deal in UK with collecting or harvesting wood on private or public land?

Alan

Thats neat work. I’m guessing a fire makes a useful alternative to other heating fuels in these days of high energy prices.

What’s the deal in UK with collecting or harvesting wood on private or public land?

Alan

Strictly you can’t Alan, at least not without permission. It is theft. 👍

The kindling is wood from a buddy who gets offcuts from a bed manufacturer. The logs come from a property where I have permission to take excess wood that has been felled usually for safety reasons. A wood delivery can set you back £100 for a dumpy bag. Very expensive.

I’ve never had a problem getting free wood; spend the whole year collecting and drying random branches, timber off cuts, broken pallets etc. A lot of the wood I get is the side branches up to 4-5 inches thick when trees have been felled as people want big split logs which look prettier in a stack. With side branches all you have to do is cut them to length with no splitting necessary.

Got a few odd bits myself! 👍😀 Currently cutting wood as we speak, at around £90 a cube, I reckon by the the end of March, I will have about £2k + worth…….All free, apart from fuel. 👍😀

I am currently in the process of filling this one up again, I have a load down and cut, and tons still standing. All split with a Maul, I have not given into using a splitter just yet……Keeps me fit! 😳

I don’t sell it as such, I supply the farm where it’s cut, my lot, and the pub! 🍻🍻🍻🍻
01BBE71E-790B-4F8A-AC0A-8F7E3BB1F99A.jpeg

Obviously we don’t burn wood for fuel hereabouts -but I noticed on trips down south to Tassie and thereabouts that towns are heavy with woodsmoke in winter, almost like the 19th century! I’m guessing fuel prices are a big part of that -but can’t be helping emissions much.

A couple of years ago I had to push 8 hectares of old growth forest to improve my fire management and protection of everything else. There must have been hundreds of trees, big ones too! I hated pushing them but it was the lesser of two evils. I had them stacked in big piles as habitat for wildlife ( tree hollows etc) rather than chipping them. They are slowly decomposing, but I live in terror of the prospect of them ever catching fire. The pile would burn for weeks!

When the fire came through last year I spent more effort trying to protect that woodpile than I did my own homestead

Alan

Obviously we don’t burn wood for fuel hereabouts -but I noticed on trips down south to Tassie and thereabouts that towns are heavy with woodsmoke in winter, almost like the 19th century! I’m guessing fuel prices are a big part of that -but can’t be helping emissions much.

A couple of years ago I had to push 8 hectares of old growth forest to improve my fire management and protection of everything else. There must have been hundreds of trees, big ones too! I hated pushing them but it was the lesser of two evils. I had them stacked in big piles as habitat for wildlife ( tree hollows etc) rather than chipping them. They are slowly decomposing, but I live in terror of the prospect of them ever catching fire. The pile would burn for weeks!

When the fire came through last year I spent more effort trying to protect that woodpile than I did my own homestead

Alan
We also like to leave some wood piles for the wildlife but on a much smaller scale 🤣

Most of this wood has been down 18 months-to two years but it’s been out in the weather. If I split some down and get it under cover some of the softwood should be dry enough for the meet in April…if not there is some drier skinny stuff in the log stack.

Back