• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

HFT .Time for 2 year review

chrisJ

Quite Talkative
The national rules sport of HFT is now almost 2 years old, Just wondering on peoples thoughts of how well it is progressing and evolving. I know from petes comments that their is to be changes next year, Do you think the ranges should be pushed a further 5 yrds, As pete said, the use of more reducers next year, Is there a danger of a first timer being put of by more uses of difficult targets. should it go to 40 targets ( ground permitting)to make the long drives more worthwhile .As a national airgun sport should it only be the preserve of the best shots. I like to think HFT is a open sport for anyone to enter, But there is a real danger that if it evolves to much in favour of the top guys with top kit and leave its grass roots behind.Its a very fine line that the organisers have to tread and I for one would not wish to be in their shoes.Very well done on a succesful season, I have followed all the results and hope to be out for a few rounds next year.

As you see I have only posted questions, As I have not been able to shoot any rounds this year I am not qualified to answer so its up to you guys.

Put some thought into your responses and keep it clean ....BONES...:D

chris

I have enjoyed all the HFT competitions that I have been to and I personally don't wish the format to change.

I (due to illness) find it hard enough and on looking around whilst taking pics I noticed a few dads teaching their sons/daughters to shoot. If the format is changed in any way I can't see that happening.

You could open a premiership Type HFT for those that wish to do all the difficult types of shooting whilst leaving the fun stuff for the family shooters.

It is a very difficult thing to do as splitting means more work, more organisation and more policeing.

Regards
Barry

Thanks Barry

It's always pleasing to see kids being taught the proper way to shoot and enjoying it aswell. This should never change or be allowed to change.

chris

personally i dont think it should change, the format is fine all it needs is one or two well placed targets to sort the top boys out:D its nice to see youngsters enjoying themselves, even though ford was a tough event even the kids enjoyed it, i can speak from the comments off my grandson aged 9, Phew i'm enjoying this, he said ;) which makes me enjoy as well :)

Being one of the organisers and having a say in what gets changed I can tell you nothing much will be changed more like tweeked, as to the futher distances I think this is a good idea as it will stop the top guns clearing the courses and becoming bored with it.

When changes are made we all think long and hard about the out come and all changes are done for a very good reason, we don't want to turn newcomers away but we also don't want the top guns turned away thinking its all to easy.
We have a few plans on the table at present for next year which I think most will agree with, its mainly from things we have learnt this yearthat we think should be changed.
Don't worry HFT has been set no major changes will be made to the main format as I said above we are just tweeking it to make it more interesting for you guys.

So I guess you guys will have to wait and see what happens. ;)

Gary

This time I disagree with Gary, the ranges should be kept to the 45 yd limit pushing it further out will take us further to FT distances and drive quite a few normal shooters away from the sport.

It can be made harder without increasing distances, for a start the target kill zones can be reduced and more obstacles and difficult shooting positions as in the original TPC Hunter FT.

Introduce a lot more forced shooting positions to make it more challenging, the majority of shoots this year have had more prone shots than anything else.
We are preparing to have a meeting at Emley Moor / Redfearns to discuss further tweaks in the rules and other things :D

Nev

i think it should stay the same and not put the distances out to 50 yards and keep the current 6 reducers

there will always be th out of season shoots for the top shots who want a more challenging course but i do feel that it should keep its grass roots so to speak

absolutly right, keep it at grass root levels. if if changes into a format that requires top kit then the fun is taken out of the sport.

and its nice to see bones as a moderator on here.:D

Nev said:
We are preparing to have a meeting at Emley Moor / Redfearns to discuss further tweaks in the rules and other things :D

Nev
Thats assuming we get time Nev:) his is gona be one mo fo of a busy weekend.:D :D
Lou
UKAHFT Organiser

Hmm! we seem to have trouble with time don't we :D so I guess we'll just have to make the time even if it's just 10 minutes:cool:

We can but try

Nev:D :D

Regionalise it, it would cut down waiting times and then have a massive final with anyone who wants to spectate turning up to watch the "top shots" slug it out. I know there are some safety concerns regarding spectators but surely for 1 day something could be arranged like a firing line for the shooters and a spectating line for the joe publics.

Paul sometimes at some shoots this is hard to do, redfeans has quite a few small tight areas on the course which it would be impossible to allow spectators to view.

We allowed a few at Ford last week and I ended up having my gun kicked half way around the course which put my zero out by a few inches, if the course allows it we will put a line up for spectators to view.

I suggest that a few posters go round and shoot a few more comps, both inside and outside HFT. I have been doing exactly that and to be honest some of this makes me laugh.

UKHFT is not better IT'S ON A DIFFERENT PLANET in terms of organisation, safety and course quality (given topography) to anything I've experienced.

I specifically exclude top FT events as I haven't been to any yet, but I will.

The more I try other events the more I appreciate UKHFT.

PaulW said:
Regionalise it, it would cut down waiting times and then have a massive final with anyone who wants to spectate turning up to watch the "top shots" slug it out. I know there are some safety concerns regarding spectators but surely for 1 day something could be arranged like a firing line for the shooters and a spectating line for the joe publics.
Times only a issue when we have 2 pegs 1 target, we do have a final,at some rounds there is a spectators line.

Pete

PaulW said:
Paul, this would never work mate... reason being...

1) A few people, including myself, attend these shoots for the craic. I have met a lot of good people at these meets and regard many as close friends now. Taking it regional would be a nail in the HFT coffin.
2) Make it regional and I'll pack it in. I can shoot Chester Club whenever I want, change is as good as a rest.
3) This massive final, would take us to elitism....

IMHO

Ian ;)

As Ace has said it will never be regionalised as with HFT the comp is a bonus the main thing for me is shooters from all over the Country meeting up for a good weekend and 80% of these shooters I class as good mates (not sure if they feel the same towards me mind)

With the new format we can get 180 shooters through in 2 sessions if needed, and if we have to go to a 3rd session then so be it as if shooters are dedicated to HFT they wont mind the wait unlike one day wonders who expect to shoot in session 1.

Pete

Back