• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How to overnight with bad weather? Ideas?

cariocarj01

Slightly Addicted
It looks like we will have bad weather here in the north of Norway for the few next days.
So my question is the one on the title and a few more.
How do you do that? What do we need to pack?
It will be just me.
Thanks for any idea.

...and if this is not the right place to post, feel free to change to the proper area. ;)

Firstly Cario are you going to be in a tent or under a tarp

Am not much experienced in camping in bad weather but a have been out fishing in some dinger days before lol my advice would be to stay at home and wait for better weather but if you must go then plan ahead tell someone your plan have an evacuation plan also tell someone this! warm/ waterproof clothes change of clothes extra pegs for the tent if a tent is what your taking don't set up pitch near dead or almost dead trees avoid leaning trees avoid open planes of land and also avoid putting your camp site were water will gather. Tools! you will need an axe knife saw the usual lol if you have red,yellow tape then put a bit round your tools so there easier to spot incase the wether gets you flustered extra food plenty of dry tinder and at least 3or 4 lighters a May have forgot a few things but am sure someone will cover this that's more experienced than myself hope this helps :thumbsup: look at it this way plan! plan again!have backups and backups for your backups

Good luck:thumbsup: let us know how you get on

I'll Have a tent.
But if is really bad i'll not go. I'll stay home and enjoy a good wine with wife. ;)

I'll Have a tent.
But if is really bad i'll not go. I'll stay home and enjoy a good wine with wife. ;)
A tent will be fine, I've happily used mine in some horrendous weather, make sure you know from what direction the weather is coming from. I always pitch mine end on to the wind. Big thermos flask filled with a hot drink of your choice, keep it handy when you go to bed just in case the worst should happen during the night.

If in doubt....don't go out....there will be other days /nights.
Uncork that bottle of wine and wait for better conditions:)

Out of curiosity what weather are you talking about?
If heavy wind and rain, I would avoid camping under trees that are likely to have dead fall, consider the direction of the wind in relation to my camp ( maybe camp behind natural obstructions such as hedges) and perhaps even erect a small barrier to block the worst of it out of the camp and protect and reflect my fire.

If you decide to opt for the wine route I would recommend some good cheese to go with it ;)

first check the weather reports before you even plan your trip, if the weather report is that bad, don't go.
no need to put yourself in harms way if you don't have to.

The weather change and is not that bad as before, but still possible to rain and some wind (not strong).
But i'll wait for a better day as i'm a newbee in bushcraft and at least my first trial on some fire techniques has to be with a easier weather.

Lets go to the Amarone bottle of red wine and some cheese.

Thanks everybody for the answers and warning.

Back