• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

If You Have No Troubles, Buy A Camel...

Mister Badger

Very Talkative
Although bushcrafters in my experience mostly walk their talk and do what they can with what they have, the temptation to acquire new kit they don't absolutely need, is also endemic (something to do with an essentially male passion for problem-solving, I reckon).

It is written: "If you have no troubles, buy a camel." I have all the kit I need (arguably more), but can't help but think I could do better. No way do I want a hammock, but tarps/bashas are beginning to interest me for their versatility compared to a tent, and am seriously considering buying one.

Those of you who know me understand my preference for military surplus (for balance of reliability and economy) and I have sourced a supplier of the old 7ft X 8ft British army basha which seems to tick the boxes.

I would value your opinions/comments, please. Bearing in mind I have a certain perverse fondness for camels :)

Hi Badger.

Being a 6 foot plus fella you would maybe be better off buying a bigger tarp mate.
Keeping it light and small is all very good....but not at the cost of comfort and usability.
Might be worth looking at a 4x4 or a 2.5 x 4 ??
To my mind a square tap is more useful for knocking up alternative shelters if you wanted too.
A larger tarp will accommodate a carp bed/air bed on the longer outings....and will also help to keep the fire and kit dry if its piddling down.
More space for admin....cooking and room to move around.

Just my thoughts mate....good luck with your choices.:thumbsup:

Cant help you with the Camel I'm afraid:rofl:

Here you go mate....a few of the guys use these.....watch the small video clip re the different configurations for varying conditions.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp-4x4-large-group-shelter?gclid=CInwiJSSntACFUtsGwod2swD5w

It's a monster! Though I suppose if camping solo in thick woodland where there isn't that much space between trees, you could double it over and still have 2x2m. Or pitch it as a tent, of course. No eyelets, though... oh, well - just remembered I've got an eyelet punch... cheers, Bill. That's worth serious consideration.

Any more thoughts out there?

Back