• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

It pays to look up...

Seriously now 🤔😂

I have to wonder how long it’s been sitting there waiting to fall, and how many people have walked under it

Hate to be pedantic but if it’s got spots it’s a cheetah; leopards have rosettes which merge together to appear all black on panthers. If it does have spots you’re a lot safer so not a bad thing.

Hate to be pedantic but if it’s got spots it’s a cheetah; leopards have rosettes which merge together to appear all black on panthers. If it does have spots you’re a lot safer so not a bad thing.

Spot.......on ( as a child I grew up with 2 cheetahs.....no relevance unless up in a tree?)

Spot.......on ( as a child I grew up with 2 cheetahs.....no relevance unless up in a tree?)

always wanted to see one in the wild, without watching one on tv , but living alongside 2 must have been amazing 😁

(In the house...............)
S'funny, as a child you just take these things....these wonderful things, for granted

I’ve seen a leopard in the wild, it was in Kenya whilst on exercise and about 250m later I was stopped off in the dark in my own to make my way back to my position; to say those few hundred metres of solitude weren’t terribly relaxing is an understatement!

The leopard was stunning and didn’t eat me so all’s well that ends well!

Sorry, slightly took the thread of topic, but I don’t care 😂 to see or be near such things in the wild, amazing

In all seriousness hanging deadfall is still one of the biggest causes of injury in British army jungle training, it Injures far more people than large 🐈‍. It’s something I hammer into the kids I work with as a small wind blown twig can cause permanent eye damage!

Anecdote, no cats............
I was doing a little summer wild canoe camp up my local river, with a friend...yes, I may indeed have at least one?...... and my friend in front on a still sunny day.....................
........................................and this willow bough of some appreciable size, just dropped a few yards in front of his boat with a large splash. A few seconds later, or a little faster paddle, and I would have had to get the elastoplast out....................:poo:

In all seriousness hanging deadfall is still one of the biggest causes of injury in British army jungle training, it Injures far more people than large 🐈‍. It’s something I hammer into the kids I work with as a small wind blown twig can cause permanent eye damage!

Coconuts being one of the worse culprits and cause of injury....death.

In windy weather beech trees are not your friend giving rise to old scouting advice to never camp under one.

They can suffer from a internal fungal rot that means branch’s seem to be held on by the bark! I’ve gone out to sites I use after a storm to find 9” thick branches on the floor that would definitely kill who ever they landed upon.

Bit more common than coconut trees where I am as well!

An old saying "elm is patient and hateth man" from their habit of dropping branches unexpectedly but you're spot on 38th, beech are every bit as bad.

One of the worst in my experience is Lime. They're very brittle and soft for a deciduous hardwood, prone to rotting from the inside and for some strange reason it was considered a great idea to plant them next to (overhanging) footpaths and bridleways during the last couple of centuries.

Back